VMax4 800 Power Loss

meatnugget

Hey Guys,
I have a beautiful 1995 800 and it has been running perfect until today. Here is what is happening:

TORS light blinks as normal 3 times at startup so I guess it works properly, plus it revs up well past the 3000 rpm TORS cutout
Starts up fine, but idle keeps getting lower and lower until it dies out completely
Very slow to rev up and not snappy or powerful at all
Smoky, maybe more than normal
Sounds like it is running on all four cylinders
Tried replacing the plugs no difference
It has always been a several pull starter, now it bursts right to life but again idles down to nothing eventually
Never had an idle problem at all

I rode the sled all day, parked it for an hour, started it up and have had this problem ever since.

I don't think it is a TORS problem, but I am mystified but the sudden onset of trouble, but I have no idea what it could be. I appreciate any input thanks fellas!

Kevin

hmmmm...

flooding out?

injector cable hung up causing a rediculess amount of oil into the carbs/mix?

what do the plugs look like? black and wet, or??

choke/enricheners stuck wide open?

either way, it definantly sounds fuel related, an not electrical..

Like Al said sounds like your choke is sticking, have a look at all 4 of the plungers on the carbs to see if they are all going in all the way.

Thanks guys for your attention. The plugs were all black and slightly wet, definitely needed to be replaced. I am glad to hear that it doesn't sound electrical. That said, I will take a look at the choke plungers.
There has never been a problem with oil consumption, so I don't think it is the injectors. I will let you know what I come up with thanks again!
Kevin

You guys are awesome, thank you all so much for your help it has made my day!!!

It turns out the choke was indeed getting hung up, and I merely had to release it and we are back in business. It seems silly as I figured if it were the choke then I would be able to notice that the choke lever wasn't releasing the cable properly but in fact I didn't notice!! Doh!!!

Anyways, thanks again fellas you made my day!

Kevin

Back