Dual Vmax engines (8 cylinder)

My friend Carl told me he'd read in an older post about someone putting 2 engines together. Anyone try this or know who has? Thanks!

I found pics of that crazy-ass thing and wow! I need to set mine up east/ west and not north/ south (hope that makes sense! ) because I'm trying to fit it into a very narrow envelope!

Wow now I'm on the spot! Lol I'm in the process of building a streamliner for Bonneville and El Mirage. Overall width of the car is 26" (1 5/8" chromoly) at it's widest. This gives me not quite 24 1/2" to fit the engine and my drive setup. Lots of cutting and trimming to make one of these motors fit!

Cool, that would have been my next guess. Don't think I've ever come across one in a streamliner before.

Are you making a v8 out of 2 inline fours? I thought about that... maybe open the cases at the pto shaft area and gear them to a common shaft? post pics...lol

I haven't actually done any motor stuff yet. I'll do the 4 up after the car is done, but I'd still like to make an 8 cylinder 2 stroke. Cmon, 1500cc's of pure STUPID! It doesn't get much cooler than that! You could connect them at the center gear if you spun 1 around backwards to tie them together. This is just a thought...

That would be a cool project, a square 8, or v-8 instead of a Inline 8, more compact, yamaha actaully has made square 4's
But I have never seen square 8"s that would be original!! are you going to use a CVT transmission or a Wet clutch with gearbox? out of a Bike?

I'm using a motorcycle transmission on this deal. Honestly I'm not that impressed with the efficiency and drag of the snowmobile clutch /transmissions.

Can you show us some pics of your project or if possible start a thread in sled builds. You've got me hooked.

that would be really cool to see how you plan on integrating a bike tranny to a inline 4 or square 8? I've had my brain wrapped around how to mate the cases of the 4 to a bike tranny for a long while, the only conclusion is to have a good machinist with some engine knowledge, I have a pic of how Yamaha did it with the TZ750, they dont have anything running off the end's of the cranks making it more compact, but this would require heavily modded top and bottom cases..
tz750 cases bottom half with trans 2.jpgTZ750 bottom case cranks and trany.jpgcomplete TZ750 motor.jpg
let me know if you get something figured out, would be a great build!!

As soon as I tell you what I'm doing you'll do a Homer Simpson "Doh"! I'm working on the clutch situation at the moment because I can't have any slip and room is something that I don't have lots of. I'll share some stuff a little later but I'm doing some crazy, cutting edge stuff that I really don't want my competition to see!

Back