Vmax-4 Seat Covers

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to get an idea if there is an interested for a high quality repalcement seat cover? I'm in contact w/ two posiable venders who can both make a nice replacement Vmax-4 seat cover w/ the YAMAHA Loge on the side with a minimum order of 12-15. I do not have any pricing yet, and this in the very early stages but what I'm thinking is a seat that looks like 94 and up seat (the velco on the rear compartment). For the White Yamaha Logo it would not be a silk screen vinyl spray paint like most shops do, It would be a higher quailty hi-tech process that is longer lasting. Please post on this thread if this is something you would purchase. I'm just in the initial stages but I'm hoping to get this done for $200 per cover. This Vinyal and Logo would both be higher quality then the original seat covers.

Last edited:

I seem to remember we discussed this before and I seem to remember the conclusion was that there are currently three aftermarket seat covers available:

One from Saddlemen with no pleats and no Yamaha logo (at $ ???).
One from Scotty's Sled Shed with pleats but no Yamaha logo (at $140).
One from Richey's with Yamaha logo but no pleats (at $144).

Obviously, there is room for an aftermarket seat cover with pleats as well as Yamaha logo, to look exactly like the OEM seat cover. If the quality is decent and if it looks like the OEM seat cover, I would be willing to pay $200.

I seem to remember we discussed this before and I seem to remember the conclusion was that there are currently three aftermarket seat covers available:

One from Saddlemen with no pleats and no Yamaha logo (at $ ???).
One from Scotty's Sled Shed with pleats but no Yamaha logo (at $140).
One from Richey's with Yamaha logo but no pleats (at $144).

Obviously, there is room for an aftermarket seat cover with pleats as well as Yamaha logo, to look exactly like the OEM seat cover. If the quality is decent and if it looks like the OEM seat cover, I would be willing to pay $200.

Thanks, I agree I would personally be thrilled to pay $200 for a high quality replacement cover if looked OEM. I'm going to offer some free advertising on forum to a vendor if they can help with this. I'm hoping that if I agree to a lager order plus the free advertising I can keep price lower.

Would`nt there have to be two different covers between the 94/95 model and 96/97? (physical size, as the 96/97 models do not rise as much at the rear as previous years, due to added foam/padding or whatever it is)

http://www.vmax4.com/entry.php?45-Vmax-4-amp-vmax-500-600-seat-comparison

Yes and the Yamaha logo is different per year. This will be a replacement universal seat cover that will work for any year Vmax 4. It will be made with a higher quality material then original covers. I will have to decide on which year Yamaha logo to use if we even get that far.

carl, I dont understand how it will fit both a 95 and 96??..if it fits a 95, it will be loose on a 96 where the trunk area rise is..if it fits a 96, it wont reach down from the trunk area to the part of the seat ya set on..(unless it stretches alot????, but I`m thinking a 1plus inch stretch in a area only 4/5inches is alot?)

carl, I dont understand how it will fit both a 95 and 96??..if it fits a 95, it will be loose on a 96 where the trunk area rise is..if it fits a 96, it wont reach down from the trunk area to the part of the seat ya set on..(unless it stretches alot????, but I`m thinking a 1plus inch stretch in a area only 4/5inches is alot?)

It would basically be like Scotty's Sled cover with pleats and a YAMAHA logo. Take a look at the one Scotty's makes for the SX. I added the Scotty's Sled cover with pleats to my 93 seat. I also added 1/4 foam but when done it fit really well. My goal is to have a high quality cover w/ pleats and a Yamaha Logo. You may have to add foam or heat and stretch depending on what year seat you have. The cost to make an exact replacement for each year would be more than 99% of the members would pay.

Last year a member was selling a cover he purchased in 1997 from Yamaha for his 95 Vmnax 4, The cover had been on his shelf s 1997 until last year when he decided to sell. I purchased this cover and when I got the cover it had the 97 logo on it. Yamaha replaced their parts # for the 95 seat w/ the 97 seat cover. See picture attached.

Picture Summary:

Picture One--- SX Cover mady by Scotty Sled
Picture 2: ---- Cover sold as 95 replacement cover
Picture 3:----Scotty Sled Vmax 4 cover w/ out Logo

Attachments

• SX Cover.jpg
    SX Cover.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Well if its a 1995 style I wont take any.Let me know if the plan changes to include 1996 and I would take two_Or let me know who you are getting to make them.

carl, I dont understand how it will fit both a 95 and 96??..if it fits a 95, it will be loose on a 96 where the trunk area rise is..if it fits a 96, it wont reach down from the trunk area to the part of the seat ya set on.
Yamaha replaced their parts # for the 95 seat w/ the 97 seat cover.

It sounds like conflicting information and there is an obvious visual difference between '95 and '97, but Carl is correct. If you look at the current microfiche of the '95 it says seat cover 8BW-2470F-10-00 replaces seat cover 8BW-2470F-00-00. Both of them discontinued...

Dominic- I was taking this project on to make money. The cost for a nice quality seat cover is $140 w/ out a logo. Don't think it would get done for $150.00

Mark- It would be nice if I had the options on the logo for different years but w/ a minimum order of 15 thats proable not going to happen, but if it gets that far I'll foward info to you.

I think we are missing the point here. I don't think it would be cost efficient to make an exact replacment cover for each year. I was just looking to basically take a nice quality universal cover and have the Yamaha logo added. Perdonally I would put my OEM seats in the closet and use a seat w/ a non-oem cover on it. I may have to ad padding, ect, but it would look better then a seat w/ no logo.

I'm hoping that if I agree to a lager order plus the free advertising I can keep price lower.

Too much lager? I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER MY GARAGE FOR COLD STORAGE! :drink1::drink1::drink1::drink1:

Seriously, I have the scottys sled shed one and it is a very high quality. The yamaha logo would have been great but I really think it would have added another level of "pain in my ass" to the job of recovering my seat tho. If I remember correctly I spent about 2 hours going around tucking and stretching to get it looking good, can't imagine if I had been trying to keep some lettering straight too. They do look nice with the logo though, I will admit....
Chris

Last edited:
Carl, please keep us updated on the progress with this seat cover. If you manage to get somebody to produce a seat cover with

- pleats that look like the OEM seat cover
- white Yamaha logo that looks like the OEM seat cover
- decent fit and finish

then I sign up for two of them right here, even if the price ends up closer to $200 than $150 (no disrespect for everybody elses idea about a maximum price, but my reality over here is that $150 won't even get me close to a used, completely broken seat with ripped cover full of water...).

On a side note, I have to say this forum has taken some good steps in the last three months or so. There is now a serious project trying to reproduce the OEM decals and this thing with seat covers could be the next big thing. This is good news for the ones of us interested in keeping the OEM looks. What a difference compared to constantly being annoyed about the word "discontinued"...

Last edited:
Carl, please keep us updated on the progress with this seat cover. If you manage to get somebody to produce a seat cover with

- pleats that look like the OEM seat cover
- white Yamaha logo that looks like the OEM seat cover
- decent fit and finish

then I sign up for two of them right here, even if the price ends up closer to $200 than $150 (no disrespect for everybody elses idea about a maximum price, but my reality over here is that $150 won't even get me close to a used, completely broken seat with ripped cover full of water...).

On a side note, I have to say this forum has taken some good steps in the last three months or so. There is now a serious project trying to reproduce the OEM decals and this thing with seat covers could be the next big thing. This is good news for the ones of us interested in keeping the OEM looks. What a difference compared to constantly being annoyed about the word "discontinued"...

:clap: Well said!

I personaaly said a similar thing not so long ago. With the amount of talent, and members in the know, or in the business on this forum, could also produce some of the simpler, yet hard to finds parts that are always searched for. Some already have such as the hydraulic brake calipre braket for example. "You never know unless you try"...Rob.

Carl a good one cost 140$ for 1, normaly when you buy much more(15 or more) the price lower. Suppose at around 130$ and 20$ for mark YAMAHA on white are right price for me. At 150$ I am ready to order one.

Dominic- I was taking this project on to make money. The cost for a nice quality seat cover is $140 w/ out a logo. Don't think it would get done for $150.00

Mark- It would be nice if I had the options on the logo for different years but w/ a minimum order of 15 thats proable not going to happen, but if it gets that far I'll foward info to you.

I think we are missing the point here. I don't think it would be cost efficient to make an exact replacment cover for each year. I was just looking to basically take a nice quality universal cover and have the Yamaha logo added. Perdonally I would put my OEM seats in the closet and use a seat w/ a non-oem cover on it. I may have to ad padding, ect, but it would look better then a seat w/ no logo.

Thanks bubba for catching my typo. I should not type on my IPhone! I meant to say I was NOT taking this on to make money. I just got a price from Scotty sled for $165.00 plus shipping and handling but I have to purchase 15. Don't think there is enough interest. Thanks again Bubba!

Back