93' Vmax 4 purchase

boody1981

Hey guys I'm super pumped to have found these sleds. I've been searching for both of these all over canada and just wanted to wait for the right price. Well I found a 2000 SRX in like new condition with high miles but has never been apart. I miss my 600 SRX so bad I can't wait to grab this 700. Just by chance in the ad pic there was what looked like the tail end (tunnel decal) of a vmax 4 in the background. So I asked the guy what it was and he said a '93 vmax 4. Also in like new condition but high mileage as well. He has the XT long travel rear skid in it and I just can't wait to grab this rare collector sled. My question is what are some things to look out for on that vmax? Just wondering about simple upgrades to do or look for. Sounds like quite a solid sled

Hi neighbor make sure you check to see if the white tabs in the air box have been removed, they can break off and end up in your motor.

Ya I guess if they are missing there's no telling if they are in the reed cage or not. Maybe should take the airbox off and have a look. Do they come off easily?

Boody,
Airbox & carb removal aren't that tough, it is basic maintenance to pull the carbs and clean them periodically. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, take your time and go for it.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a compression reading, especially if it has higher miles as you mentioned. As for upgrades, put in yammigod's trail setup (found on this site) and you will be good. At some point you will want to know your jetting/gearing also.

Good luck on your purchase!

Ya I am very mechanically inclined but have never been around a Vmax 4. Wasn't sure what all in tailed as to getting the box off. What tools will I need if I wanted to do that. I know many sleds are just rubber elastics, some have a screw or two. What are these white tabs in the air box for anyway? I know he's got a different muffler on it as well as the stock on he's giving me. I think its' just a silencer of some sort.

If you pull off the carbs, Please be sure to check the main jet size! I was cleaning mine and found they had 121.1 jets in there, stock is 140MJ and the staff suggested 135MJ, In any case the way I ride I would have been all sad the day I melted a piston because it was so lean. The jets are like 3 bucks each and about 60 minutes to install all 4. There is a tiny little stamp on the main jet indicating the size, I used a smart phone to grab the image and then you can zoom in on that photo and make out the size stamp (It's hell gettin' old). There is a scale in here for jets and alt/temp guide.... somewhere.....

oh great! Ya I curious, he is running the same alt and temps as me here and he bought the sled brand new so I'll ask if he's changed them. Pics and more info coming saturday once I get home from the 17 hr journey

Well I make the trip. 18 hrs and back with both sleds. Very happy overall. here are some pictures. I will dig into them this week a bit to find out the jetting and clutching that has been done. The Vmax has what he called 'trail' clutching done by a Vmax 4 fanatic friend of his. It isn't without it's flaws but for 21 yrs old it's not too bad.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Running a sled 'as is' because the PO lives at the same alt as you is asking for trouble, also the quality of gas is no the same as in 1993.

Take the time to check and adjust your jetting accordingly. its a PITA, but not as nor as embarrassing as burning down a motor.

Yeah I agree totally. I have gone through the SRX now and it was kept as stock jetting so I am assuming the Vmax may also have been kept stock? Time will tell once I get into it. All I can tell for now is the primary cover bushing is totally gone, it is quite loose as is the SRX so two bushing kits are on their way this week. It did seem to 'stick' a bit for the quick blast I gave it on sunday. Like a bit of a bog or slow acceleration then, BAM! Damn thing went haywire! I would like to get the drive train silky smooth like the engine, no on/off power, just smooth as my thumb.

If the primary is original it won't use the same bushing as the srx. Also if you bought the spx bushing kits you will be disappointed. I've tried them and they are far from good.

I believe they are SPI, not sure if that would be the same but right now they are wobbly all over so anything would be better. It appeared that the two clutches took the same bushing and clutch puller. Can you confirm that?

Puller should work. Although you will have to be careful on the vmax. I have had luck using the same puller others have not. Vmax-4 takes a little longer puller. If the clutches are both original the bushings will be different. The older vmaxes used a brass bushing and is designed differently. It is not pressed in although depending on how well it was maintained it could be in there quite tight by now.

If they aren't seized you can do it by hand. If they are seized it's a bit of a bugger. You could try soaking with pb blaster or something similar. I have used a press to convince them in the past. The press is a little sketchy though because they don't just press out like a bearing. I wish I was home I would just post a picture of how they come out.

Back