94 v max 600 electrical problem where to start?

Kevin Brown

Hi Gang
My son & I went on a ride today. ended with a taxi ride to get the truck. Hi machine was acting weird. a few miles in the ride he noticed his hand warmers were not working. Then they would & his gas guage would stop working. his tack even quit for a while & came back on later. His temp light came on as well. It also went out later. ( the machine was not overheating, I checked water pump belt, coolant level & cyl temp) I also noticed at times his headlight was dim but near the end of our voyage it was really bright. ( too bright if you ask me). Then it quit. No spark!.
Still cranks over fine . but no spark. Any suggestions on where I should start to look? Does the cdi control everything of just the spark?
Thanks as always.

Kevin

Kevin. Yamaha ignition modules are some of the most depedable out there and almost never fail, BUT not ruling that out yet. From the symptoms you have described, I would first have a look at the voltage regulator to see if it has completely smoked!! It converts A/C voltage from the stator plate to D/C voltage. The stator plate houses both ignition/trigger and lighting coils. Without seeing a wiring schematic, I am almost certain these outputs are regulated by the voltage regulator. That is my reasoning of suspicion that it could cause the goofy lighting, electrical, and eventually no spark issue you are experiencing. Thinking its worth the look as well as checking grounds. Electricity ALWAYS takes the least path of resistance. Hope this helps somewhat...Rob

Once I had a wire bare from the stater, and it would ground off and on, stuff was happening like you are mentioning, lights dim, spark go. Moved every possible wire, piece by piece, and then spark would come back. Not sure if that helps of not. Mine was process of illimination or trying to find why off and on spark, and all electrical. Check connections of all wires.

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. Basically. Get a drink & go over it methodically. I did get a new voltage regulator today. im sure it will fix most of my problems. I do not have spark right now. yesterday I did. & I did not change anything. Im thinking stators either work or don't work. if that's the case, wiring

kevin

I Had a mechanic at the local Yamaha shop come over. He tested the stator. Its either the stator or the wires attached to it. Will know more later
Thanks again
Kevin

Any recommendations on stators. Yamaha is $480 + tax with no warrante. Used is about $150 with also no warrante. I hate to put that much in a $1200 sled. DO Stators all tend to crap out at the same mileage? Or are these better than the norm as well? Should I maybe look at something with less miles on it or does it matter?

Thanks
Kevin

I think stators can go at any time, I had one go out at 4500 miles on a pristine sled. My trail sled has almost 15,000 and still works. Try the wanted on TY. I'd think around $100 is fair.

Back