I have some 1995 800 CC questions?

I purchased a good '95 800 back in the summer of 2013. I've ridden it for the past two winters and have done nothing but put gas and oil in it. The sled is 20 yrs old and I'm wondering at what point should I consider replacing the crank seals, etc? I don't have a leak down kit, but the time against this thing is making me wonder if a tear down is in order? Preventive maintenance would be much cheaper than fixing a burn down! What about the inner crank seals? Can those be replaced easily once I split the crankcase or does a crank shop need to do that?

Who do you guys recommend for crank and cylinder work if I decide it needs done (over bore, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Great website!

Lets start with the miles, how many do you have on the sled? Get a feel for how things are going, compression test (130 - 140), strongly encourage you to clean carbs consistently each year. Most problems I found are from those dang carbs. Keep them clean, change the o-ring on the needle seat, and watch the tabs on the cones, white ones in the air box. Over the years, moving in and out the air boxes these tabs can break, and end up in the cylinder. For the crank seals, these things are pretty rock solid. Honestly, last thing on my list to look at. Others will probably chime in, but that is starters.

Depending on miles.. I would re-ring it. Take a good look at piston for scuffing,cracks or abnormal wear. Change coolant if it 20 years old.. bottom end should be good as long as it was property run.. no big blow ups.

I should have mentioned that this is my first Yamaha 2-stroke sled ever! I was a Skidoo guy my entire life until I went Yamaha 4-stroke sleds all the way! I had the opportunity to buy this sled for $1,000 and took it. This is my play sled for beating around the fields at home.

Assuming the speedo wasn't changed out, there are less than 4,000 miles on this sled. I do think the miles before I bought it could have been severe; previous owner said he had re-done the right two cylinders at one point. The sled runs strong, but I can't help but wonder if it needs some preventive maintenance. Who would you guys recommend to have over-bore work performed by and where would you buy pistons, rings, gaskets, etc?

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
Go Yamaha ! Do a compression test first. I can give you my 2 cents after that. But if cash flow no issue, well, lots of options. You can find lots of options out there, but keep in mind the sled is getting older, and parts are out there, but getting more and more harder to find at your local Yamaha dealer. You want something strong to "Play sled for beating around the fields at home", keep closer to stock. But if you get the bug for this sled to pull harder on your arms, there is many here that can fill that info in for you.

Or you can tear it right down, get a gasket set, and go through everything, what srxmajic mentioned above, check your cylinders and pistons, crank and so forth. You can get the cylinders rechromed rather than sleeved.

Thanks for the relies! I think the first step for me is to sit down and self educate myself by reading all the forums on this website! Lot's of great information here! :smiley-12

Back