1996 Yamaha v max 600 xt

Kevin Brown

I posted a thread last night requesting advice on both ride improvement & improving ergonomics on my 94 vmax 600. I understand improvements like thicker seat / XT skid bar risers & plastic skis would all help but since its all out of pocket$$ I was wondering about just buying a 96 600 XT which is in pretty good condition & ofcourse it already has a the thicker seat, XT skid. Different secondary. bigger stock pipe. electric start & reverse, would be a better way to go. Unfortionately I don't know the history on the XT so buyer beware but sometimes modifying things ends up costing more with less in return. Does anyone in the group own a 96 600 XT? do they like it & how do you feel about it compared to the stock 94 vmax 600 . worthwhile upgrade?
Thanks
kevin

I don't own an XT but I did put a Pro-Action Plus skid under my 95 and the difference is night and day between that and the stock skid. If you have the choice of buying an XT over the 94 or 95 versions, I would for sure. The rear skid is worth it alone, but the front shocks are also better and the seat thickness on the XT also makes a very noticeable difference versus the low slung seats on the 94 and 95s.

Performance isn't much different and if anything the XTs upped the reliability factor with larger nozzle jets, thicker head gasket, etc.. The one thing I found that make a world of difference in the fuel economy on these pigs is dropping the needle. I have GYT twin pipes and have dropped my needles down as far as they could go, have ridden 3-4k miles with them in that position and have not had a problem that I can attribute to dropping the needles.. I did blow the clutch side cylinder and will need to rebuild the motor this year, but the sled also has over 9k miles and has never had the pistons, rings, or head gasket replaced.. That said, my fuel economy with this setup is ~12-13mpg, far better than stock..

I had a chance to buy a XT600. it was not in great shape but ran really good. At 1st thought I would use it for parts but don't really have the heart to split it up. The other day may son & I went for a rip. He was on the 94 vmax 600 & I on the 96 vmax 600xt. After a while we switched. After a few miles I wanted the XT back. You were right . there really is no comparison & it sounds better. I wont drive the 94 again. After checking the compression with the engine warmed up a reading of 145 psi was recorded. Would you say this compression number is consistant with a stock 96 600xt or one with the thinner 94 head gasket?
Thanks
Kevin

That sounds high for a stock 96. The compression on the 96's was lower due to a thicker head gasket. Sounds like whoever owned the sled before you may have put a thinner head gasket on and potentially some other engine mods because 145 is high even for a 94-95. I believe the compression on my 95 is around 125-130psi if I am remembering correctly. What is the compression on the 94 that you have?

Back