High RPM CDI

Woody255

Folks, Is a high RPM CDI required to run a 96 Vmax4 800 at 10,200-10,400 rpm? Mine is studdering at 10,000 and above. Thanks.

Do you know how much past 10,000 they will run?

IMO your pushin it. The box was designed for 8350. I doubt they carried the timing curve out that far. I also think its starts bouncing on the RL at 10 K. If you wanna twist it up that high, I think you need to look at alternatives

Thanks Skinner. I've been messing with this for some time now. When I exceed 10,000 there is a noticeable change in the sound and performance. It sounds to me like the timing drops right off, like it hits a rev limiter. I have clutched it now to peak in 660' at 10,000rpm. Not necessarily the best plan, but I don't currently have a high RPM box to try.

If you want a custom CDI I sell it. Full programmable with lap top and good for 12000rpm. Also includ stuter box and retard function and much more.

Thanks Skinner. I've been messing with this for some time now. When I exceed 10,000 there is a noticeable change in the sound and performance. It sounds to me like the timing drops right off, like it hits a rev limiter. I have clutched it now to peak in 660' at 10,000rpm. Not necessarily the best plan, but I don't currently have a high RPM box to try.
Are you in Pro-stck class or improved stock? The programable systems are illegal (ISR ruling) for improved but are OK for Pro. They work well once you figure them out. If you are racing improved, you need to find a RPC box with a changeable chip (1st choice) Yamaha Pony Pak (2nd choice) or a Red FSM box (3rd and last choice). As I said earlier, my guess is your hitting the rev limiter and falling off the curve

Most of the races around here are unsanctioned, but at an ISR event it falls under Pro Stock. Is there actually a rev limiter in the stock boxes, or does the timing fall so fast that it acts like one?

Back