resistance of coil

tughillbilly

hello and thank you for having me on your web site. PROUD 2nd owner of a 93 with 4700 mi/km. i have owned my vmax for about 10 years. i love it and only ride it in the utmost perfect conditions. very well maintained problem free tons and tons of smiles good laughs and fun had on this sled. everybody that knows me and my vmax learned to respect it yamaha fan or not most the hard way hahaha. it is what it is and i love it. on a short ride today when i started her up she fired right up banging on all 4 as usually. after a few minutes it started sounding like it was hunting going up and down rpm than back to all 4 then just 1 and 2 so on and so fourth. ran good getting to the trail between 4and 6000 rpm. got to the trail grabbed a thumb full and only 1 and 2 banging 3 and 4 no go. gently eased into a top speed condition it made it but not very smoothly it took a while. let off slammed a thumb full just 1 and 2 again. might be a bad coil can someone please tell me what my resistiance is going to be on my coil 1993 vmax4 stock. thank you so much . when can i post pictures? thanks again PETER

Was it warm out. Mine fouled a couple of plugs and ran on two when it was warm and I was running slower tight trails

this sled has fouled about 3 or 4 plugs in 10 years. i always put fresh plugs in had the issue in various temps. usually my vmax is the last to get hot on warm days it takes alot the skidoos are always first to pull over.

i pulled the plugs to varify 3 and 4 wet 1 and 2 coffee color. just went through entire fuel system all new lines filters removed tank, pumps, carbs etc etc.

no no and no its an itermitant spark ted. outta phase no most certainly not never backed fired never over rev . resistance of a coil lets not over think it.

Go to 'general questions' forum. Scroll down to stickies section and there is a pdf service manual you can download.

Primary = .2 ohms.
Secondary = 4.9 Kohms @68* fahrenheit. +/- 20%.
Plug cap = 5 Kohms. +/- 25%.

Last edited:
In an ignition coil, there are two windings, a primary and a secondary. Primary is tested at two wire terminals coming in coil and secondary is tested at + terminal and output(Spark plug wire) of coil; All wires disconnected of course. Rarely had luck testing any coil this way and see it bad, problem arises when powered. If you can swap coils, this will eliminate your cdi box and pulser coil.

Last edited:
my good friend said the same thing maximos. probably gonna try to track down two new ones and just start there and work backwards twords the cdi. probably just a bad coil i hope. keep fingers crossed

better keep my fingers crossed i can even find a coil let alone two and new old stock i can just forget. is there a coil out there new that can be purchased???

Could you swap coils from one side to the other then see what happens. I probably have some old used coils
Laying around if you want to try that.

thanks for the help guys i read some where the coils look the same but are differant?? and can i swap coils and be safe or am i heading down the wrong road??? thanks again PETER-

Only difference is the bullet type plug-ins on the wires, which you can easily swap out..
One coil is a male, the other a female..

thank you so much guys i will swap tonight after work and see what i can come up with i hate having that sled down. thank you again peter

Back