Different rods for 750's and 800's?

scott riley

Has eveyone looked into using different rods for the 750 or 800 to be able to use a 20mm pin and therefore different pistons?

Pistons? Looks like they have the 20mm pin. Looking for a rod that will accept a 20mm pin. Or a piston that will use an 18mm or 16mm pin.Pistons?

Last edited:
To find a piston/rod combination that would work without going to custom ($$$$) pistons since Vmax4 pistons are no longer available from Yamaha or Wiseco. Sled is for asphalt 1/4-mile bracket racing.

I've been trying to get my hands on a red head 600 triple piston to see what it would take to make them work on the 800 motors. The rings from the 600 triples is what they sell now to replace the old 8bu part numbers. If the 600 triple pistons take a 20mm pin which I believe they do then it may be as simple as getting adapters made for the 18mm pins to fit the 20mm pistons. Maybe.

Last edited:
700sx pistons will work too.A member on here used them in a big bore project years ago.I am in the middle of doing one of these.They have a 20mm pin,ring end gap pins are in the right location,but need the reed valve cutaway machined into them which is no problem.The skirts need a bit removed as they come vey close to crank at BDC.Just need pin adapters for these.
I have a 750 that uses DT mx trimoto 175 pistons as well,wiseco piston 471mo6800 which aren't available any longer.You can still get 67.5mm though.they have 16mm pin.The crown is twice as high as a stock piston and must get heads machined.Hauck has 800 pistons now and I may shut project down.
Remember when you overbore large amount,you must redo ports as the ports will all become lower in cylinder once bored out do to upward angle of ports.Lots of time involved and money.

Is there any other advantage in changing the piston/rod combination or is it just the difficulty finding stock pistons?

Not that I know of. I did find out Hauck and Full Power Performance are now both offering 800 pistons from Wiseco. That is likely the direction I will go and have pin/piston bushing made. Also received some private messages and other options (pistons) require more work. Now I just need to decide what power level to shoot for!

Back