94 v max 4 drive chain lifespan question

Kevin Brown

Hi Guys
Years ago I bought my 94 v max 4. it had 6000 km & the chain had one broken link. I went ahead & replaced it with a new Yamaha chain 94880-08068
Now my machine has near 13000 km on it. I am a trail rider & don't rip on it too hard but occasionally do wind it out. note the machine is virtually stock. I adjust chain yearly as part of my mait program. Adjust meaning ( removing any slack if there is any)
I kinda thought now would be a good time to replace it. But just went to Partzilla only to find that is no longer available. Now what do we do?. Is there good aftermarket chains? & would would the expected life span be?

Thanks
Kevin

surprised to hear your old one has a broken link!
that said if runing quality oil, it seems it should be god to go for a while!

Assuming you have been using a quality chaincase oil and correct chain tension, the chain will last a lot longer than 10000 trail kilometers (a sled that has been frequently dragraced is a different story). The chain itself will for sure outlast the drive shaft bearings.

What kind of oil are you using, Kevin? It has to be that, or you were just unlucky I suppose. It can happen.

Im looking at changing the oil. I check it every season & its clean like new but its been a few years since I have changed it. So I cant remember what is in it. THe manual says 10 w 40 but unsure. I was thinking synthetic gear oil sae 30??? any advice.?
Thanks
Kevin

Back