Aaen Quads

4with4

I see this is the first post here.
Many members on this site are big fans of the PSI quad pipes for the Big Max. I have no problem with this fact. I just want people to be well informed before they go searching for a pipe that's getting hard to find that might not be everything they've dreamed of. I've got a set of Aaen quads on my 95 800 that were installed by the dealer in late 94. I bought the sled in 01 with about 6500 km on it. The engine explodes at 6000 rpms and pulls like a freight train until 9000 rpms. The power is always on tap with a squeeze of the throttle with clutching being the only changing factor. An e-mail to Aaen informed me that the shift out speed should be at 8750 rpm. Mine shows 8800 on my tach. They also recommend engagement at 4500 rpms. Obviously individual clutching setups for personal applications will change things accordingly. Aaen is very helpful about answering questions. Also remember a little known fact, Olaf Aaen started out as a factory Yamaha pipe builder/tuner. He use to build their factory race pipes!
I'm very happy with mine and not looking for a different set.
Ian

Last edited:

Yea great pipes...Any big bore I ever had i ran Aaen Quads...Right now I have a set of Aaen race pipes on my 750 improver..Can't wait to see how they work..

I agree on the Aaen pipes. I had a set of trail pipes and they worked very well. I have a high rpm version and they perform great also.

On my big bore 880 ( inline - 4's old one) I ran aaens on the trail, sled would run 112 mph with stock gearing and 94 oct. in 1000'. 5.69 seconds in 500' with 20/40 gearinging at 89 mph with a pro action skid pulled down at 9000 - 9100 rpm. The same sled would run 5.39 seconds @ 97 mph @ tony specific rpm 8750 with psi's.

/Dan

Wow..Big difference...I know I have a time slip to go with this..When I had a 800 stock engine with PSI quads I ran a 5.70 @ 89 mph in 500' at Marilla NY...It seems the PSI's realy make that BB work,very intresting..

Can you guys confirm these pipes run at 9000 RPM? Trying to decide if I can used them without a 180 box

The ones i'm looking at have stingers so they are Trail I think?

M

Can you guys confirm these pipes run at 9000 RPM? Trying to decide if I can used them without a 180 box

The ones i'm looking at have stingers so they are Trail I think?

M

Mike, Aaeen pipes run at a max. 9000 rpm with a ported motor, then drop off hard if reved beyond this. If motor is stock, clutch for 8800 rpm the HP curve is pretty flat between 8750 and 9000 rpm this will give you a little room. Std 8BU box and 90* firing works great with these pipes.

Mike, Aaeen pipes run at a max. 9000 rpm with a ported motor, then drop off hard if reved beyond this. If motor is stock, clutch for 8800 rpm the HP curve is pretty flat between 8750 and 9000 rpm this will give you a little room. Std 8BU box and 90* firing works great with these pipes.

Thanks Dan ( that is right? ) I bought them today the guy said they were F3 cut pipes and were supposed to be 9500 pipes he called Aaen to confirm this. He said they come on like hell fire at 6000 and pull real hard to 9000+

I'm on a welded 750 crank, I read not to get over 9100, any thoughts on that? I'm thinking to clutch for 9000ish and forget the extra 500 RPM. I've got 89a, 8ax & 8bu boxes to pick from, I was thinking 8bu Primary right now is 89A10 weights-17.2 rivet in base 13.9 in tip and a Yamaha W-W-W

Can you lend any help on clutching or should I try to call Aaen?

Thanks

M

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 412
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
They are in real nice shape, I repacked and blasted um today. Need to find out of powercoat will take the temps or I need ceramic coated. I'd like something better than a rattle can.

Mike when modifiing the VMax 4, with the 750cc crank and 90* firing. Yamaha recommends 9250 rpm max. The 8BU cdi has a much improved timing curve then the stock 750cc box with the rev limiter kicking in 10,000 rpm. The 750 box has a programmed timing retard in the system which reduces horsepower after 8300 rpm and at 8700 rpm a rev limiter takes over. The clutching you have will be close but field testing will dial in the sweet spot. (i think that 13.9 in both holes may work better and maybe hauck orange?) If field testing determines that the pipes like 9250 rpm+ you might want to consider 180* the crank and buying a very expensive and hard to find cdi box this is the mod that yamaha used in there F3 sleds. But I can tell you it will be tough to pull over. Also if you are running a 800 secondary you will have more tunning cominations as there is an endless supply of helix angles for these secondaries.

Yea I'm on 800 drive line.... I'd really appreciate the help in clutching, I'm a great mech. & fabricator, but VERY uneducated when I comes to tuning clutches.

Last edited:
Got confirmation back from Aaen today that these are they Standard pipes that work at 8750 on a stock sled and 9000 with porting. Aaen is great to deal with and email me a setup sheet and specs. and the gurls voice that answered the phine made me melt.... LOL

I'm missing what they call the "sheet metal plate with hole" and the spring tabs. can some one post a pic of the metal plate and tell me where to get tabs? Maybe even a pic of the tabs nad I can make them too

Thks

M

mike
before i go out testing tommorw i will try to get a pic of the spring tabs for you as for the plate its a piece of thin alum. sheet about 10"x 3" w/ oval hole in it where the #2,3,4 pipes exit the plate did not work w/o mods. to it with the taps you might be better off buying them from aaen what can they cost $2 ea. if you send me a # i would have better luck texting you the picks
good luck
randy

Well the guy I bought my pipes from was NOT full of S*%t.... Aaen did make more than set of pipes for the Vmax4. I got a second set of Aaens in my shop today so I measured and sure enough my set is an inch shorter at the main chamber.

I'm a bit ticked at the guy at Aaen that aparently either didn't know any better or care to look at the pics I sent them. His knee jerk response is those are just our standard pipes, well guess what NO they are not he should have looked at the damn pics and measurements I sent him!!! Pisses me off when people do that, anyway... ( I'm done venting)

So the Guy I got um from called them F3 cut pipes and said they run at 9500 RPM. The real kick in the balls is My motor is ALL back together and bolted into the chassis with the crank at 90 deg. and from what I know now It really should be at 180 Deg. to work best with these pipes.

I'm gonna call Aaen again tomorrow and talk to someone hopefully smarter!!!

So 9200 is the max Yamaha said is safe at 90 deg. correct? If so I guess I clutch for that, just got done chaging rivets to go from 8350 to 8800... DAMN-IT !!!

So I'm using 89a-10's at 54.9g now anyone wanna tell me how much lighter I need to be to get to 9200?

Attachments

• Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 217
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

Back