02 viper suspension work

brian102

ok, my mom rides a 02 yamaha viper and the dang thing sits so low, its like the rear shock is blown out of it! we are going to try and tighten up the rear spring first today, i heard you can adjust those bars that have the grease zerks on them that run to the rear wheels, im not sure what they are called, but what do they do? adjusting those would change what? just clueless here please help:)
thanks

ok, my mom rides a 02 yamaha viper and the dang thing sits so low, its like the rear shock is blown out of it! we are going to try and tighten up the rear spring first today, i heard you can adjust those bars that have the grease zerks on them that run to the rear wheels, im not sure what they are called, but what do they do? adjusting those would change what? just clueless here please help:)
thanks

Those bars are transfer rods and will do nothing for ride height. Unless she is bottoming out all the time I would leave it alone. You should bottom out every once in a while when set right. I would assume your mom is looking for comfort. When she sits on the sled the transfer rods should be in the middle of there travel.

transfer rods are in the middle with no one on them, is there a trick to tightening that rear spring, its so hard to get up in there , sturt spring compressor?

i heard they had problems with the rear suspension on the 02 vipers and they do an 03 upgrade, but that was from some forum i had never heard of, anyone have experience on that? do they blow the rear shock easy or something

Last edited:
Those are transfer rods. The older proactions can adjust them by putting thinner or thicker washers on either side. I think the one on the vipers was a quick adjust which you would turn by hand or maybe the Benders where the ones i'm thinking of.

There was a upgrade or change of shocks offered for the 02 vipers. basically a softer shock. When adjusting my rear shocks I just remove them, adjust the nut to desired setting, and reinstall. There is a video on the net for tuning the proaction suspension. Google it and see.

P.S. Don't ever check the shock pressure with an air gauge. You'll get a reading once and then there's no more pressure.

Best ride I ever had on a viper was with the shocks done by Fischer in the twin cities if you want I can dig up the number for ya.

Back