1986 phazer cherry red exhaust

gitterdun1985

I'm buying a 1986 phazer from a guy, he siad it is low on compression on 1 side. he was driving it last year and he said the exhasut got cherry red and he shut it off and never tried to start it again. it is not seized, engine spins freely. getting it for $200 bucks.
Just wondering if not cleaning the carbs on it would have caused it to lean out and run hot.

any suggestions?

thanks Al. I plan on tearing it down tomorrow and seeing how the cylinders look, if they look ok im just gonna give them a hone and order oem piston kit, and complete gasket kit. any other suggestion. can I run 36 or 38 mm flatslide carbs on it

I have a story for you,if he crank is all good it wont cost as much but the bores will most likely need honed and new pistons,crank seals while your tore down. We just got done looking at my buddy's 480 motor in pieces and moisture does some bad things in crank cases. crank bearings and seals were bad which is why I couldn't get it to tune well and a new crank will cost 3-4 hundy plus pistons and the rest of the stuff so he is selling an 89 phaser chassis with a motor in a box. Unless you are doing the work yourself or have a friend that will do it free or near it,it may cost a few hundred or more. The crank in ours needs rebuilt and im no machinist.

I had a V-max 540 turn the exhaust cherry red hot one time. It ran fine, but the stator broke and messed up the timing which caused it. Jeff Wurl

Back