750 secondaries?

rustman

Does anyone know if any other secondaries from other yamaha models will fit on my '93. I want to switch from the old style secondary to the newer style but its hard to find an 800 secondary. People have told me that viper secondaries will work amongst other things. Does anyone have any hard proof one way or the other?

-Rustman

You are gonna have to change the jackshaft and the chaincase to an 800 of any year. You will have plenty of options then to get a secondary from.

Kind of what I figured. Why change the chaincase though? They are the same thing minus the gears and chain? Once the jackshaft is changed what will fit?

-Rustman

Last edited:
I think the chaincase themselves are the same. Top bearing where the jackshaft slides through is bigger on the 800 and of course the gears and chain are wider. So it is easier to replace as a unit unless you can find a good deal on the innards without the case. Now that brings me to my original question, Does anyone know which yamaha secondaries will fit assuming the jackshaft is changed to an 800 style?

-Rustman

I have not had it machined. I have just been trail riding it with no high speed passes. That is the only time it will affect it, isn't it?

if your handy you can use a secondary and jackshaft from any later yammie.srx,viper,ect.you can cut and machine the jackshaft and the stock 750 coupling to fit together and weld them.i beleive you also have to weld a shoulder for the clutch side bearing.IMO much cheaper and easier then trying to find 800 stuff.

i use a artic cat clutch as my secondary and i must say im impressed with its performance

Last edited:
Hi, what angle's helix did you use? Was the top end affected??
The angle's helix is a 89a with steele rivots for fine tuning which was recomended by a racing buddie and the PSI pipe company to best work with my PSI quad pipes. It improved the lower end performance and increased the rate of acceleration.

Back