76 SRX 340?

Silver Talon

I have someone I just built a new computer for, and he said he has a 76 340SRX out in his barn not to far from where I live. I guess he used to race it and its in good shape with low miles. The only other thing I know about it is that he was sponcered by budwiser by the time and had the hood painted white with the matching red strips for the budwiser sponsership. Im think he has a 440 in it now, but has the origonal 340 for it, but dont remeber now. A local guy with an old sled colection has been trying to buy it for some time but wont let it go. What do you think something like that is worth? I guess the sled ran when parked along time ago, not sure now, prob would. He also has a couple of the origonal sales broshores and other info on it when his uncle bought it new.

No, its from the palmyra/hartland area origonaly. Its in a barn in waterville at the moment. Been in storage for quite a while i guess. He used it with his uncle to oval race. The 440 has alot of work done to it also, but i belive the 340 is origonal and untouched from when they pulled it. Ill have to talk to him again and see if he would part with it.

Are these selds fast or something? I know a little less than nothing about these so from the pictures they look to be more of a light drag sled. What would be a reasonable offer?

yeah they are fast little sleds!!someone correct me here,but i was thinking 65 h.p?saw a few go in my time,pretty quick for a 340!!

Yea, what can one of thouse weigh? 350lbs or so? With me on my seld and a tottal weight of 900lbs with fuel, (just a stab in the dark there with me at about 170lbs) The max has a 1 horse to every 6.5lbs. If the srx is 350+me= ~520lbs and with 65hp its about 1 horse for every 8lbs. If it had 90 horse it would put it at about 5.88lbs per horse. I wonder if you could strap in the max motor into one of thouse......

YAMAHA MADE 1000 SRX IN 1976. 500 440 & 500 340. THEY WEIGHTED 360 POUNDS AND YOUR CORRECT HP WAS AROUND 65. VALUE DEPENDS ON CONDITION. IF THIS WAS A ORIGINAL 340 SRX, VALUE WILL FALL WITH 440. FACTORY RACE SLEDS LIKE THIS MUST BE 100% ORIGINAL TO BRING IN NICE PRICE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

ALL DEPENDS ON CONDITION AND IF ITS ALL ORIGINAL. ALL I CAN SAY. KEEP IN MIND MOST FACTORY RACE SLEDS LIKE THIS ARE DESTROYED, IN PRIME CONDITION BRINGS THE HIGH VALUE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Ok, with that in mind..... I know its been sitting so lets say it needs a track cause its dry rotted. the bogey wheels need a replacemet, and the hood is not the same colors it once was. It does have the stock 340 to go with it, and that is origonal, and there is nothing choped or cut on the sled. Seat is supposed to be perfect, and the rest of the decals are on there and in good shape. Current condition rating including the hood 6 of 10 (with the 440 in). Swap the 340 in and some basic matinence, 8.5ish out of 10.

Basicly can you buy these things in fair condition for $400? If so then obviously the better shape stuff is worth alot better. I just dont know if even the scrap shell of one that was wraped around a tree and set on fire is still worth 5k? See what im getting at?

Just like an early year stock max 750 in good condition is worht 1500-3000 or so depending on miles. Im just looking for a ballpark to start at without seeing the sled yet.

Silver Talon said:
Ok, with that in mind..... I know its been sitting so lets say it needs a track cause its dry rotted. the bogey wheels need a replacemet, and the hood is not the same colors it once was. It does have the stock 340 to go with it, and that is origonal, and there is nothing choped or cut on the sled. Seat is supposed to be perfect, and the rest of the decals are on there and in good shape. Current condition rating including the hood 6 of 10 (with the 440 in). Swap the 340 in and some basic matinence, 8.5ish out of 10.

Basicly can you buy these things in fair condition for $400? If so then obviously the better shape stuff is worth alot better. I just dont know if even the scrap shell of one that was wraped around a tree and set on fire is still worth 5k? See what im getting at?

Just like an early year stock max 750 in good condition is worht 1500-3000 or so depending on miles. Im just looking for a ballpark to start at without seeing the sled yet.
OK, I WILL WALK THROUGH THIS. TRACK IS EASY TO FIND FOR THESE. AND SUSPENSION WHEELS ARE EASY TO FIND. THE HOODS WERE ORIGINAL WHITE WITH BOLD YAMAHA DECALS. HOOD CAN BE REDONE IF NOT BROKEN AND DECALS ARE BEING REPRODUCED IF NEED BE. NOW THE ORIGINAL MOTOR IS THERE, SEAT IS MINT WHICH IS HUGE ON THESE, SLED IS NOT CHOPED UP AT ALL, ONE THING YOU DID NOT MENTION WAS SKI,s. THEY HAD FACTORY ALUMINUM WHICH ARE VERY HARD TO FIND. IF THIS SLED CAN BE BOUGHT FOR $400 BUCKS, THATS A STEAL. 3:16 (yammie tony)

No its not rudedog. Never heard of him, lol.

Im not sure on the skis, he never mentioned them and i never asked, but he oval raced the sled, so what are the chances he put something else on the sled? I figured if i could pick it up for a few hundred dollars I would be doing ok. Thanks, ill be trying to get in touch with this guy sometime this week and see what he says.

An original 340 SRX, if it's an 8.5 out of 10 (as long as it's the original engine & tunnel isn't whacked) will fetch minimum $2500 & probably upwards to $5000 (or more) if it's all there & working shape. It was only made 1-year & is pretty rare since most were delivered to dealers for their race program & many did not survive. Watch Ebay these days for the 76-MERC Sno-Twisters ($5000+) and other rare Vintage sleds such as the Polaris 78-RXL ($20K-range). If you can get that sled for $400...pick it up & post it so some Vintage guy can get the chance to purchase it from you. You never know, if there is a history with the sled from a BUD sponsor, that can sometimes add to the value...

Ask Toydoc...he's a Yamaha guy & knows better the values of the SRX...

Good luck.....Scott

Ok, thanks man! Ill defenitaly do that. I couldnt get ahold of him today and will be trying him again tommorow. Just gotta see if he wants to get rid of it, and if i can scrape up some cash. I really would like to go down and see it and snap some pics.

I talked to the guys wife a few days ago, and left a message with her to have him call me back, and I havent heard anything yet. Ill have to call him back tonight or tommorow again and bug him for atleast some pictures.

i think the sled would be worth more than a new custom built computer , but then it depends on how the sled and parts look first ,,,,,

Back