880 big bore with stock pipes

Ok, in short, you cannot just big bore something and hope for great results, you need to increase the fuel intake/porting/carb size and the exhaust outlet/porting/ exhaust chamber size to match the increase in bore to get optimum results. lts not rocket science, but it is serious science.

lm other words no stock pipes wont cut it to get the best out of your big bore, there are some guys on here who have it down to a fine art, but its racing so you might only get 90% or so of the formula for free, 9% for money and the last 1% they keep just in case you meet on the lake ;)

Last edited:
WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR

.29 BASE GASKET BORED CARBS CUT HEADS AND 160lbs OF COMPRESSION MILD PORT CYLINDERS CUT TO ZERO DECK HEIGHT
SLED IS USED FOR 1,000 FT RADAR RUN

Thank you turch wasnt shouting i replied from my computer at work and didnt realize caps lock was on and i didnt know that means shouting i am new to this please give me a break

Your welcome. I didn't take your caps as shouting so theres no hard feelings here lol.
Dan, Jabber800 has set records on radar runs and is very approachable and in my opinion on this site he would be the one that could help you best and guide you on what to run with your set up and the class your going to run in. Good luck with your project this summer.
G

millerz. Welcome aboard. turch is correct in saying that Dan is very knowledgable at setting up and tuning these machines. Another fellow is vmax535. He plays with these all the time aswell, and knows what works and what doesn,t
Glenn. See what I was talking about as per our conversation the other day? Not sure what the issue is there...Rob.

Millerz welcome aboard! Do you have any specs on the engine as far as port heights widths etc? What jetting, clutching and gearing are you running? What class do you run in? 900 improved I would guess!

my big question is the hauck piston has the port hole very high compared to a stock piston. I feel that the port timing is designed for very high speed piston travel as if they were for howlers only. My 1997 vmax4 with a mild port drilled pistons and a head cut runs 109.7 and my 1996 880 runs 103.2 very disappointed.guess im just wondering if any body has made a hauck 880 work with stock pipes if it is not possible i guess i will need to buy a set of howlers. i am running 1,000 ft radar run 900 class with the 880 and 800 class with the 1997. Track dynoed my 1997 last fall and it made 88.13hp was very happy with that any help would be great thank you

just a little update on my sled put a 041 base gasket in it and a 010 head gasket has picked up very well needs a little clutch weight moved around and maybe a little more helix but big end run has come around very nice

Engines need to be built with intake/exhaust/combustion chamber profiles that match match the pipe's profile. Or the pipe must be built to match the engine.

Your issues with the stock pipe have more to do with the changes you made in profiles than the changes you made in bore size. I'm sure an 880 would run great with stock pipes if built to do so.

opsled

Back