92 vmax4 piston help

PROSKIDOO1000

I bought a 92 Vmax4 last year and just got done putting 800 pipes and drive train on, I took the carbs off to rejet and decided to take the reed valves out to check out the cylinders.My question is are these stock pistons with the port cut into the sides? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 131

I would say those are modified. My 92 pistons are solid and even the 93 motor I have does'nt have anywhere near that size opening in the pistons.

What would this port be for? someone told me to check to see if the crank has been indexed as well, does anyone know how to check that? thanks for any help trying to restore this first year muscle sled.

As far as whether the crank has been indexed I think what there asking you is to check to see if its a stock 90 degree crank or if it has been changed to a 180 degree crank to handle higher than stock RPM. The simplest way I know of to quickly check it without pulling the heads would be to take the spark plugs out and use something like a screwdriver to check top dead center on the pistons. If the pistons reach TDC at different intervals then it's a stock 90 degree. If two of the pistons reach top dead center at the same time it's a 180. Maybe it had some higher RPM quad pipes on it at one time. As far as the large window in the piston I don't know the total reason why that is done. I know just enough about a 2-cycle to make me dangerous so hopefully one of the more knowlegable members can explain that. Tom

I checked the crank like you said and the pistons reach TDS at different times so i belive the crank is stock. as far as the pistons and with the port in the side i guess they are modified for some reason. thanks for the info

Back