'95 Vmax 600 Clutch specs

Exciter570

Does anyone know the stock rivets used in the clutch weights for a '95 Vmax 600? I just had the primary rebuilt, but the engagement is too high and the rpms in the mid range are way too high..not good for trail riding...

When the primary was rebuilt the dealer put rivets in the weights according to GYT specs since I have GYT twins on the sled..but I'm not happy at all with this set up..it ran much better on the trails with the previous set up...

So I'm thinking maybe there's not the right amount of weight in the tip causing the engagement and mid range rpms to be higher than I want..

Did you look to see what is in the clutch? Rivets arent really going to change your engagement that much, but they will change the running rpms more noticeably as you stated, I remember running 2 of the second heaviest rivets with the pipes with 8CA weights, and like a 48-40 helix, look and see what is in the clutch and I'm sure we can get it corrected.

Thanks guys, I ended up switching back to the stock primary spring and went with stock (17.2) rivets in the inner and outer holes, brought rpms down to a much more tolerable level while trail riding..my problem now is that I can't get decent mid-range power...goes down the trail fine at 30, starts to sound like it's loading up at 35, can't get it to hold steady at 40-45mph (and if I do manage to hold it there, it really sounds like it's loading up) when I get it to 40-45mph it holds for a bit back shifts and speed drops...

I'm going to replace the secondary spring with a new stock one as the current one has over 8000 miles on it and may be worn..I also checked the the main jet size this afternoon and they are stock (156.3) which is the wrong size for the GYT pipes, I need to put 152.5 mains in.. hopefully this will clean things up and put the sled right on the money...

Last edited:
what s in the secondary, and you said the rpm is way down now but what is the rpm at wot, 152.5's sound a little on the crispy side, maybe go to 153.8's, but tell us the running rpm, thats the most important,

I have the original stock spring in the secondary (green)...I haven't jotted down the rpms while running, but iirc, when running down the trail at 25-35 the rpms range between 4800-5500, at 50-60mph the rpms are around 6000-6500, and at wot the rpms are somewhere between 7400-7600 give or take a little, hard to see the tach clearly when blasting down the lake at 85-90mph..

Well, I put the 153.8 mains in the sled and they really didn't seem to make any difference at all..sled still sucks in the mid-range.. burbles at 35-40mph, it is a bit on the warm side today, about 30 - 32 degrees..

RPMs are as follows:

WOT 7700
45mph 6300
35mph 5600
30mph 5400
25mph 4800

It's frustrating because the sled used to have a pretty good mid range..so I'm not sure what has happened and can't figure out if it's jetting or clutching related, I'm thinking clutching related since it used to be decent in the 30-50mph range..also, I noticed the idle rpms are very high..about 2600, adjusted with the idle adjuster but I couldn't get the idle to drop...it should be idling around 1500-1600..I'm not sure what's causing the idle to be so high..

Also, is it ok to do plug reads while the sled is on a stand in the garage? I'm worried about the sled being too lean now that the 153.8 mains are in and want to check the plugs..ok to just run it on the stand at various rpms and do a check that way?

Last edited:

Back