96 problem: big or huge?

Geiger

Im looking to buy a 96 v4 fairly cheap. Problem is, the two outside pistons are quite low on compression. Inner two are good. Is this just a piston problem that didnt get checked out in time, or could it be the crank? Any info would be great. thanks

Probably burnt piston and bad cyls,get it cheap for sure,crank should be good,no issues like '92's had,if thats what your thinking..

PULL IT APART AND REPOST. MIGHT BE SIMPLE AS RINGS. OR COULD BE MAJOR LIKE DAMAN POST AND YA HAVE BURN DOWN ISSUE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

If you're just negotiating to buy the sled, if you assume scored jugs you can ballpark $350 to $400 per cylinder for top end parts - that's without any head repair if its damaged or a lot of welding to build up the jug. If the work was done in a shop I suppose you could figure about 4 to 6 hours. Bottom end problems and you're looking at more money.

Went ahead and bought it. Met the guy 3 hours away- glad i did. The thing is immaculate. He said #1 and #4 had low compression. Took it home and tested it: 130lb on all four.
It has twin pipes and can, willwood hydraulic brake, plastic powder skis, and looks amazing. Runs great:4fzfk2:

Last edited:
yay! i figured out how to get the pics up!
It does have a dent in the right strut... o well
dont have a pic of the cdi yet, but this thing is massive if it is a cdi box...
Can't wait to get my proaction under it.

Attachments

• crystal_camera_132JPG.jpg
    crystal_camera_132JPG.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 72
  • crystal_camera_134JPG.jpg
    crystal_camera_134JPG.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 70
  • crystal_camera_137JPG.jpg
    crystal_camera_137JPG.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 67
  • crystal_camera_131JPG.jpg
    crystal_camera_131JPG.jpg