96 Vmax 600 overheats

ozutah

The first problem with this sled was that the thermmostat broke. Looking at other forums and the complaints about the yamaha thermostats breaking, I simply removed it. I made sure all the parts were there. The next run it ran 60 miles with no problems. Then I took the sled out yesterday and it had the overheat problem again. I checked the pump and the belt and they both were moving. Yet it seemed like the water wasn't circulating. Is it possible there is a vapor lock? Is there a bleed valve somewhere?

Sounds like you've probably got an air bubble in the coolant system. The service manual I have for your sled shows a bleeder screw on the top of the thermostat cover. Crack that open while the sled is running and see if any air comes out. There is also a bleeder valve under the back of the seat where the tube connects the left and right heat exchanger. You'll have to remove the seat to get to it. Raise the back of the sled so it's higher than the rest of the cooling system. Any air bubbles should go to the highest point of the system. Loosen or remove the bleeder screw, and start the sled to circulate the water. Don't let it run too long and watch for air bubbles. Repeat this a few times until you don't see any air bubbles coming out of the bleeder. I took my thermostat out years ago, you don't really need it if you give the sled a good warmup before you take it out. Post back here and let us know if that fixes the problem.

Shark

Mark is right, I had the same problem after rebulding my 500 engine. She would constantly over heat. Until finally all the air got out. My dad advised me to pu the back end wayy up on a bank. Take the cap off and let it idle, Sure enough. Out come the air! lol

Do I need the cap on or off

Mark, should the cap be on or off when I do this? I think I've gotten all the air out but want to be sure.

How's water pump belt deflection?, that sled i meant for a thermo, put it back in,your risking cold seizure.

How's water pump belt deflection?, that sled i meant for a thermo, put it back in,your risking cold seizure.

Yeah, that's possible. I always warm up my sleds for 10 minutes before I hop on.

ozutah - Here is the procedure for bleeding and checking water pump belt deflection from the service manual.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Shark

Last edited:

Back