96 Vmax4 Quad Pipe EGT Readings

yamiman

Hi have a '96 vmax4 800 with PSI quads and a Digitron dt-34 egt monitor. At idle and higher cyl. #2 (2nd from right when on sled) egt always reads about 1/2 of the other cylinders. I bought a new probe, tried switching probes around, cleaned carbs and it still reads the same. Anyone have any other ideas as this is making me a little crazy? Is it a fueling issue? :banghead:

First # 1 is clutch side so 2nd from right is #3.

How does #3 plug looked compared to the others? Check compression. If #3 plug and compression is even with the others I'd suspect a problem with the #3 pipe.

Cracked weld seam, plugged, internal pipe broke.

Anything causing to much or not enough backpressure can cause run cold or appear to run cold on an EGT.

Had the same thing happen on a 92 mod with 840 RPC kit and pipes. #3 would warm up ok but lower than the others. EGT would drop 300+ degrees over the others under load. Plugs looked great, compression was even and sled ran fine. Found a crack on a seam on the bottom of #3 pipe. Fixed it and problem was gone.

Might be yours too.

Good Luck, opsled

Wow fast and helpful reply. I don't relish the thought of taking the pipes off but have the whole summer to check it out. Thanks again.

Back