96 VMAX4 WITH COMET QUAD 4 CLUTCH

I JUST BOUGHT A 96 VMAX 4 800 WITH AAEN QUAD TAIL PIPES, AND IT ALSO HAS A COMET 4 PRO CLUTCH ON IT. I DON'T THINK IT IS SET UP CORRECTLY, IT REVS OVER 9000 RPMS AND HAS A BOG ON THE BOTTOM END...I BELIEVE THE PIPES ARE DESIGHNED TO RUN AT 85-8600 RPMS...CAN ANY ONE HELP ME SET THIS THING UP. IT WILL PRIMARLY BE USED FOR CLUB RADAR RUNS AT 1000-1200 FT, AND SOME TRAIL USE AS WELL.
THANKS

Don't expect too much advise from here right away, I have had question's on this site for about a week with hardly any response, I am just trying to be patient.

newchevysalesman said:
I JUST BOUGHT A 96 VMAX 4 800 WITH AAEN QUAD TAIL PIPES, AND IT ALSO HAS A COMET 4 PRO CLUTCH ON IT. I DON'T THINK IT IS SET UP CORRECTLY, IT REVS OVER 9000 RPMS AND HAS A BOG ON THE BOTTOM END...I BELIEVE THE PIPES ARE DESIGHNED TO RUN AT 85-8600 RPMS...CAN ANY ONE HELP ME SET THIS THING UP. IT WILL PRIMARLY BE USED FOR CLUB RADAR RUNS AT 1000-1200 FT, AND SOME TRAIL USE AS WELL.
THANKS

You need to take your clutches and your carbs apart as well as your gearing to tell us what it has in it. How is your belt deflection? If that isn't right, you will have a bog on the bottom end. Don't forget to check all your rollers and weights for wear. Check your belt width and your center to center disatance as well.

If it were me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I would deep six the comet quad-4 and find a stock 800 primary clutch. Those clutches were grenades and with the rpm's you want to spin a stock clutch will work fine. They are easy to tune and reliable for what you want to do. Does it still have the stock secondary? I can give you a good primary / secondary clutch set-up for those pipes if you are using the stock clutches

Last edited:

Back