'97 Max on ice

Kahunas

Hey guys- I just picked up one of Hauck's old sleds and am working on 1000 foot RADAR runs. What does a well setup 800 do in 1000 feet? What is the stock gearing? I have a lot of drag race experience, but was always racing Doos. I have a set of PSI quads on it and am hoping to make several races this year.
Lots of good info on this site! Great job, guys!:clap:

C'mon guys, I know a few of you out there have done enought RADAR runs to give a ballpark figure.
I have been doing some testing and changing and am making good progress, but I know there is alot left in it. When I picked it up, it ran 104. Made some changes and went up to 108 and just ran again today after more changes and am up to 111. I am positive it will hit 115. What should I expect out of it?

You might post a question on the general forum. They seem to get quite a bit more action. Yammie God will share tips on getting the clutching right, etc.

I ran mine one day at 1000' runs and hit 115.57 mph and that was going there un-tested so yes it can be done. I was running an 8bu-00 setup which is not the best for speed running but I knew what to expect from them. Had I have had testing time I would try a set of 8bu-10's loaded or even the 89-a's, that is if you wanted to stay with factory weights. As for aftermarket weights I was considering Dalton polaris grind but never got there. Hope this helps, sorry for the delayed response.

HELL YOUR MAKING GREAT PROGRESS. ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR GEARING, CLUTCH SET-UP , SUSPENSION AND TRACITION. BEST I RAN WAS 103 IN 660 f.t. ON PERFECT ICE WITH MY 96. I REALIZE BIG DEFFERENCE BETWEEN 660 AND A 1000. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I do have my suspension and traction covered. Maybe too much traction. It will NOT spin! It only comes in at 4500, but it does not hesitate to launch. I wish I could have had my old drag sleds that ready to go at 4500 RPM's. I wish I still had my timer setup. I would love to see the 60 foot times on this beast!

jminor- is your machine "stock", or have you had some work done? This beast is actually a Hauck big bore, but Pat had it setup for drags and not very impressive in MPH, but it will be the first one there. According to Pat, this thing should be a little over 200 HP with the big bore, bored carbs, and PSI's on it. After hitting 111 and seeing everything that I need to change, I am HOPING for 120, but it will take some time.

Tony- think of how fast you are building mph at 660' as compared to 60'!! 103 at 660' is impressive.

Kahunas- I had psi quads, clutching, gearing and some motor work, 170-180 hp depending on who you ask. With 200 hp you shopuld see 120

JOSH, YOU HAVE A GOOD HEAD OF STEAM GOING AT 660 NO DOUBT.
WAS THIS THE 97 VMAX 4 HE HAD FOR SALE ON HIS WEBSITE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I had approx. 210-225 hp (depending on boost level) ran about 8500 rpm, with 24-37 would run 126 in 1000',clutches would be shifted out about 50' to 75' before the finish line. Later on went to 24-35 ran same speed but didn't overrev at the end of the run, but my clutchs were cut to run overdrive, about 5-6 percent. depending on your rpm's 24-37 should get you in the high teens. Still have that pair of clutches for sale. Hope that helps you. What are you geared at now?

I was geared at 22 37 and just changed to 24 37 last night. I am just itching to go test. I have aquired a couple of springs, helixes, and extra weights, so now I have a few tuning parts to take to the track with me. I also still have my cool down setup from drags, so I can make some pretty consistant runs. All of the runs I have made so far, the clutches were barely warm to the touch. I am also still low on RPM's, so once I get that up, I will gain more power and more top speed "gearing". Hope to get out tomorrow. It is still a bit on the cold side here. High for the day is -4 F. I also ordered a set of probes so I can get my jetting dialed in. I know it is rich right now, but it is safe. I expect that I am leaving some power on the table just with jetting.

I am going to do some testing for a few hours tomorrow after lunch. I will post here tomorrow evening to let you know how it goes.

OK, guys, I did hit 114 today, but had a 15 mph tailwind. So did I actually make any progress? I will find out next week when I get home and have a "normal" day. It is not coming off the line as well as I would like it to be for the first 100 feet. It just feels kinds flat then really shifts in and goes. I went and got some rivets to put in the closest hole to the pivot on the arm. I will also have EGT probes on for the next test session. I am guessing there are a few horses to be gained there as well. Can't wait to go out again...

NOT FOLLOWING YA. WHY YA ADDING WEIGHT TO INNER HOLE IF ITS FLAT DOWN LOW FOR 100 F.T. OUT. COREECT JOSH, WHATS IN PRIMARY FOR SPRING AND ROLLERS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I just got home today from riding in the Black Hills. I hope to hit the ice a few times before this weekend.
The drive spring is a Hauck blue, but I do not know what size rollers is in it. I also don't know what weights they are, but I am sure either Gary or Allen from Ulmer Racing will know which ones they are. They have 4 holes in them for rivets or bolts. I will probably add more mass to the inner hole to give it more bite on the belt right after engagement. It seems to be a little flat there.

Alan, I sent you an email and hope to be there this week...:4fzfpi: :653:

Back