97 VMAX how do I Get rid of TORS????

schunn

I have a 97 that for some reason this year the TORS system is really beginning to annoy me. It is not working correctly. If I am running in teh open at say 7000 RPM and get out of the throttle, the TORS system kicks in. So I could still be at 5500 RPM and the TORS system will not allow me to go anywhere. Can I disable this syetm or what do I have to do to fix it?

daman said:
:agree:

i would fix it,it's a great safety feature,the system is not that complicated
a switch on the carb rack and one in the throttle block..

Yup, what he said. If your throttle cable freeplay is not set-up correctly the tors wil knock out the r's. Read the manual for the cable adjustment and make sure that is to spec.

Thanks for the replies. I will go through and check the cables and lube the throttle linkage to see if that helps any.

When you adjust it, start by loosening the throttle cable at the adjuster down by the carbs so the throttle has plenty of slack. Then adjust the idle with the idle screw. Push on the throttle just until the cable tightens up and measure the small gap at the base of the throttle lever. Adjust the cable so that you have a 1-2 mm gap there.

The key is that when the throttle is released the the idle needs to be controlled by the idle adjust screw. There is a little micro switch on the end of the idle screw. There has to be slack in the cable and the cable cannot stick at all.

Back