Clutch side making a noise

Chris

Heyguys i have a 1994 vmax 4 n this morning it started kinda vibrating and making a howling clickingnoise on the clutch side so i took the belt off and rotated the primary and it binds up at one spot , engine runs perfect and every thing maybe something in the mag or that bearing behind the clutch ? ? ne ideas

thats what i was hopeing theres only one tight spot in it when rolling over i was worried about something in the mag , can i change this bearing right in the sled and whats an easy way to check it ?

U have to pull the primary clutch and take off the stator cover(The stator is attached to the cover you'll see)Pull the bearing with a puller.Very easy if u have all the tools!!

kk thanks i just had the crank phazed and pined last year and all bearings were good in the crank so im not worried about that theres no play in the bearing but that doesnt mean a thing im hopeing thats all it is

Get the clutch and stator cover off then just take a tiny flat screwdriver and pop out the seal on your PTO bearing. Then you'll be able to assess it's condition. If all looks good, clean it out (air, brake clean) and repack with a good low temp (I like synthetic here) grease. If it's bad it can be changed with puller/pusher as johngross said.

opsled

just took the 2 bolt out thar hold the bearing and nothing its all good is there any thing else ?

Have you checked to make sure the pto gear box has oil? If that went dry it could be a bad bearing in there it's on that same shaft you just checked.

Have you checked to make sure the pto gear box has oil? If that went dry it could be a bad bearing in there it's on that same shaft you just checked.

Good suggestion Mike, I bought a basket case sled that had the same binding issue and the PTO was dry.

gear box right full goingto finish tearing down tomorow , uhmm when i took the primary off i noticed some big cracks in it will a 600 clutch bolt on ?

Back in the day a kid that I worked with had a brother that worked @ the Yami dealer in A2/Yipsi, A guy dropped off a V-4 with a clutch rattle. For whatever reason they had the engine running with the clutch guard removed when the clutch let loose & ripped part of his face off & almost killed him..... Every time I hear a noise by the clutch I think of that.

that very well could have happen to me last year...I`ll try to keep it short...

went to look at a 1997 polaris XCR if memory serves...got there and emediatly seen it was a total POS..and not just cause of the name brand..but the appearence..LOL

anyway...the guy opens the hood..and as I`m looking it over, he decides to fire it up...it sounds like HELL!!

I told him to go ahead and shut er down...then as i`m still glancing at the oil SOAKED motor, i notice a HUGE, and i mean HUGE!!! crack in the clutch!!
the sheaves were well seperated....not just a line..but a gapping hole/crack kinda deal!!!
then about the time I was looking at that..i seen there was NO clutch bolt in it??

WTF???

anyway...he said his buddy wanted the "racing" clutch that he did have on it..so he traded for the one that was on it now..so i ask him if he knew about the HUGE crack and no bolt, and he said yeah, but it`s been like that for a while, so it`s okay...

unreal....

Back