Clutches condition

Ted

Vmax-4 Collector
I can't stop dismantling my sled. With the chaincase removed when I spin the secondary it freewheels fine but makes a noise like thud, thud, thud. Also, if I grab the shaft on the chaincase side and change rotational direction back and forth forcefully it makes a metalic clank. (93 750 12,400 miles). The belt is removed also and I believe the clutches are stock.

I am posting pictures of the secondary , primary and shaft on chaincase side.

I know nothin of clutches, all suggestions on condition, maintenance etc is appreciated.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 70

What is the fourth picture of, I can't figure it out, is that the coupling end of the jack shaft?

You should check the spline/coupling of the two piece jack shaft, it might be worn out causing the thud and metallic noise.

Your helix is pretty worn in your secondary, plating is worn off.

Ken

What is the fourth picture of,You should check the spline/coupling of the two piece jack shaft, it might be worn out causing the thud and metallic noise
Ken

Ken, Its the inside if the secondary shaft coupler and looks awful dry and rusty. I would guess you are right on and the coupler is bagged. Makes perfect sense with the noises he has described
The clutches should be completley gone through with 12K on them, I'm sure the bushings are tanked if they have never been done before and by the looks of them they have not.

Last edited:
might not be a bad idea to consider upgrading to an 800 driveline. Secondary parts are more readily available, helix selection is much, much better. Chain and gears are nearly indestructible. Jackshaft is one piece and much less prone to failure. Your primary should be cleaned up at least, take out the rollers, weights, and spring. Your spring looks pretty old, wouldn't hurt to swap that out. I use light sandpaper, something around 400 grit to clean sheave faces, and roller surfaces. If bushings in weights or rollers are bad they can be pressed out and replaced, no need to replace the entire weight or roller.

By the time I am done of looks like everything will be replaced. I should just buy an 800. Well, too late now, it's
In 200 pieces. Is there a bearing on the clutch shaft that shoul be replaced?

By the time I am done of looks like everything will be replaced. I should just buy an 800. Well, too late now, it's
In 200 pieces. Is there a bearing on the clutch shaft that shoul be replaced?

Back