Crank out of time

R&M RACING

i finaly got around to looking at the new 750 motor and i need to know what is more likely has any one seen the gear on the mag side crank spin ? the dot on that gear is a third of a rotation off and the pto side is lined up when the dots on both cranks are lined up and the #1 piston is at tdc 3&4 are a third off so one of the gears has spun but which one and also can anyone recommend a machine shop that can true it in northern wi or u.p. of mi does any off this make scents

what do you mean when you say 3 & 4 are a "third" off??
number 1 as in clutch side? or pull sarter?

AL P

The 92 crank We sent to Iantomasi in Bowmanville, had spun the "large gear on the "clutch" side of the crank , it was out of phase 18 degrees

im pretty sure the large gear on the clutch side spun does that sound right also should the crank now be welded thanks for the help

Yeah I`d think welding would be a good idea while its apart, and perhaps even more so now that its slipped once..not sure if this makes sence, but it seams like it could slip again a bit more easily once its done it once?

as far as which one is off..I`m not sure which would be most likely to be off, but I`m thinking that if which ever one is off, is off enough, you may be able to see it...
its been a while since i had my crank out (its an 800, but still) I`m pretty sure, that when you put the dots at the 12 o clock position, that the pistons should be even..even meaning, number 1 at TDC, and 3 & 4 even..or, which ever way it works out..they should be even one way or another..
hope that made sence?

say for example, the dot on the big gear, was at the 12 o clock position, yet, the piston was just a tad down..that would likely indicate that the large gear was off..same with the small gear..if it was at the 12 o clock position, yet the 3 & 4 pistons were`nt lined up..that would indicate that the small gear was off...

thing is..i can`t remember exactly which pistons would be even, and which would e at TDC...but it should`nt be hard to figure out, once you line up the dots, then position them at 12 o clock..two pistons should be a bit off...(if its defiantly twisted)..but if its only off by a couple degree, it may be very difficult to detect?

Last edited:
no problem..but just keep in mind, it may be that cylinder 1 (nearest the clutch) is not the piston that is at TDC when the dots are lined up and at 12 o clock, but it could be that cylinders 1 & 2 are even at half stroke, and cynder 4 is at TDC...
but you know what I`m saying..either way, things should lne up..

AL P

CRANK IS DONE AND MOTOR IS GOING IN ITS NEW HOME TURNS OUT THE CLUTCH SIDE LARGE GEAR WAS 30 DEGREES OUT STILL DONT KNOW WHY IT SPUN AND ALSO WHY SO FAR BUT ITS ALL DONE AND WELDED READY TO GO THANK EVERYONE FOR THERE INPUT GREAT SITE

Hey, can you tell us what was done to this 750? Is it piped? I'm curious if anyone has seen these cranks twist if the motors are running stock pipes.

Im also wondering if it seems to always be the larger gear that spins. Given the fact that the small gear meshes inside that big gear, it seems to lead to the big gear having more torque applied to it. Is it possible to put an 800 crank under a 750 top end?

-Rustman

I was afraid of that. I guess if I do pull my crank I will have it welded then. I don't plan on piping it, but it will get yammigods setup if i can ever find that damn helix for a reasonable price.

Back