Fellas, needing a little advice on changes

3ft

Ok, this saturday I went out and put another 100+ miles on, make a 180 total on new rebuild. On my 1st outing I had high temps in the midrange...1/4-1/2 throttle..temps are getting to 1175 and have seen close to 1200 on 1...that was in 5-10 degreess, Now this sat. it was much warmer, 25+ degrees, maybe 30ish, and still same problem....as soon as the pipe starts to come on...the temps raise up and I need to let off and vary the throttle to keep them low enough to ride.....I did do a WOT run and while it seemed better, by the time I came close to topping out the temps were flashing to hot again....I know this sounds easy, but wanted to run this by you guys and get your opinion.
My set up now
fresh stock rebuild on motor all OE parts
Aaen quads
boysen power reeds...thier pedals on stock cages
142.8 mains
needles are at 3rd (middle Pos.)
#50 pilots with 2 turns out on the screws....Idle seems spot on.

Now, I am thining of going back to stock 143.8 (I think thats stock) mains and raise the needles 1 pos. I am seeing a much bigger problem at midrange than wot...I figured that even the WOT run at 30 degrees got warm the mains need to be changed....I do understand that with make a difference for the needles as well...just thinking I would rather be safe...do you guys think I should just change the mains and see where it goes or do both changes make sence....I may not get the sled back out before a bigh trip, thinking a FAT midrange I can live with. Whats your thoughts.

just thinking I would rather be safe

In light of this statment..i think if it were me..I`d do them both..mains and clips..

worst case scenario, you run fat, give up some HP, and posibley foul a plug...still beats the heck out of a burnt down piston!!

just curious..what gas do you run? brand and octane??

if your running gas with 10% ethanol, then your running oxygenated fuel...which typicaly calls for "two main jet sizes UP"..so that would mean, them 142.8`s, are more like 137.8`s..

AL P

Last edited:
Al, I hear you on the gas....I always fill up with 91 Non-ox, but on the trail....I am getting the 10% ethonal. I will say....It doesn't seem to get any worse as the tank empties and I refill, say at 1/2 and 1/2, by the time we got back I am sure almost all of the non-ox was run through...I am tending to agree with you on the set up. I just wanted to make sure I am not over thinking this....Infact one night last night I could not sleep.....I thought about the fact I had never double checked the oil pump settings...In my bath robe and slippers (sorry felllas for the mental image) I am out in the garage with a caliper adjusting it. Do I have problems? Just kidding...don't answer that.

LOL, no you don`t have problems..atleast not any problems alot of the rest of us don`t have..

quite often, me and the ole lady will be watching TV, then she`ll laugh at something in a show, and I`m silent..she then glances over at me, and says, you did`nt think that was funny? of course, i reply what??

LOL, I may be staring at the TV, but what I`m actually seeing, is every square inch of my vmax4!!..lol, seriously...I`m obsessed!!

I would try bigger main jets first. You may find that the needle is okay with the bigger mains. I thought that you had to go up one size main from stock with Aaen quads? I've never ran them, so maybe someone who has can chime in. If that's true you should probably go up 2 jet sizes.

I have the paper work for the pipes and they start out at stock setting and lean down from thier....Honstly, I figured that they were going to give a very safe setup as to cover their butts.....So, i figured 1 size down would be a good start.....Now, 10-15 years ago when those pipes were made and gas was that much better...that school of thought was probably spot on....You maybe right as to say that 2 sizes and leaving the needles mite be where I need to be....

Good stuff guys....Thanks....I think I may break into the carb bank tonight....

i`m sure i`m not telling you anything you dont know,but,how do you know their hot without a baseline?several things will effect the actual number.plugs and wash will tell the tale.

I am running EGt's on it....

first I want to thank all of you for the help....Really as you guys were tossing stuff out their, I thought about it and I am settling on that gas these days is worse then when the pipes were made....So I went with a 146.3 mains and left the needles alone for now....See how that works out.

sounds good....just to add..if she feels like she`s loosing power/burning down posibley..hit the choke...full...

ride safe, hope ya have a great time!!

AL P

BINGO
Jeremey, the egt's are a baseline, not a fixed science. They will give you an idea of where you are but not exact. 1175 is not bad for a temp. It suprises me that they stay the same between 5 degrees and 30. Check the wash. What do the plugs look like? What cylinder is getting the warmest? You can stagger jetting to compensate for one warm cylinder. With 50 pilots, you should have more than enough mid range fuel for that motor. Are you using gutted airboxes or filters?

Dave...Its the #3 cyl. that seems to get warm the fastest, and #4 will follow (or atleast did on the 1 WOT run I did) I only checked the plugs once and they looked to light for my liking. I did another comp. test last night just to set my mind at ease and 122-125 psi acrost the board. The motor, airboxes and vent lines are all stock..minus white tabs. Its not just once in a while that the temps would flash...I had to ride with one eye one the trail and one on the drigitron. You can feel and hear when the pipes are starting to come on (7000rpm) and that was the wall....5 seconds and the temps are flashing. I have just for fun turned the egt's on with the sled off in the garage and they seem to read fairly close to the real air temp...also their maybe 20-25 degrees difference between the 4.....didn't think that was too bad. I have to admit...I really don't know how to read piston wash....I have read about it, can't say I would know enough looking at it to make any kind of call. Kinda figured that with the thermal wells stock on these pipes that Aaen would have the distance correct...But then I have been wrong before.

It was the #1 that granaded last time.....

Back