first ride BOOM.....

bubbaj92

Need some help guys, I picked up my 4th 92 late spring last year. Guy says it run good for him. Started it for me. Started in 2 pulls.got it home cleaned the carbs checked fluids and summerized it. Got it out today we finally got enough snow to ride and it took alot of cranking finally got it to run it was only hitting on 2 cyl. Figured out it was the right 2 and left 2 were fouled replaced the plugs and same thing after a min of running on just the right 2 the left 2 all of a sudden started firing. So I let it warm up and went to take off and it backfired ..not a good thing I know. Rode a little more and did it again... finally got to the field and opened it up a few times to clear Its throat and pulled it in the shop to check it over good. Now I am at approximately 600 ft elevation 140 main jets not sure about clutching or gearing yet engine is completely stock as far as i know pipes are stock with bender stingers suspension is a m10 with 192 picks I pulled the plugs and the left 2 were white as a piece of paper and number 3 was fouled and 4 was white.I noticed that at WOT for the 5 seconds I held it there it was running approximately8700 rpms high is bout 500 r's too high. I'm not sure if it burned down or why but what would make it backfire? And why would it run that lean with 140 jets at 28* F?

Last edited:

if you didnt drain gas, it could be dirty carbs again. Gas is shitty these days and will not last if left to sit. I would start with a good carb cleaning.

u need 2 clean them jets , they get that green slimmy shit which plugs up the jets or it even cristalizes so u think ur jets are that big well may half what they should be, allso pull ur needle and seats they should have little rubber seals on them they may be bad meaning need needle and seats, cheaper than a bent rod from 2 much full in the crank case. they can leak fuel in the crank case just sitting .

allso those plastic pedals on ur intake have u removed them if not check them for cracks or remove them before they break off and blow up ur motor

CARBS!!!!......lean pop...not good man, do um again..

afterwords, start out with a fresh set of plugs across the board and get a read....

CARBS!!!!......lean pop...not good man, do um again..

afterwords, start out with a fresh set of plugs across the board and get a read....

:agree: ... Our fuel around here sucks. If the fuel thats in it now was there when you bought it I would drain out whats in the tank and start fresh. Gotta drain and put some kind of conditioner in the carbs every season or get used to tearing them apart for a GOOD cleaning.... I prefer to plan on cleaning them every year so I know what things look like in there.

Chris

Thanks guys! I kinda figured thats what it would be I got it on the shop now gettin ready to tear into it and decipher the problem! I will report back in a couple days

Thanks again guys for the help! I tore into it today andstarted with the in the tank fuel filter. Then replaced all the lines clear to the carbs! Including all the oil lines... when I had the seat off I notice a few bare wires in the wire harness...( not sure if the wires were grounded causing a backfire or what) but I cut and spliced and heat shrinked the bare wires then got looking around and wires that go up in handlebars had been chewed as well by mice...so all new lines and all wires taped up again got into the carbs... all 4 main jets were good pilot jets were plugged, but the bowls were pretty clean in general. So I checked the needle and seats and o-rings were fine, floats were good checked reeds they were good boots were good air boxes cleaned and white tabs removed! Reinstalled everything with a new set of plugs and 2 pulls and away I went! It never backfired or missed a beat! Sounded healthy and run like a raped ape! Pulled back in after 5 mins moderate- hard riding and plugs look good so out for more pulled in after 15 mins hard riding and looked perfect! Cardboard Brown as ever! Dont know what I did but it musta been right! That filter was like 15 bucks but I recommend changing it. I ordered 4 of them. That one was very rusty colored. So thanks again for the help guys!

Attaboy Bubba!!!!

A lesson to be learned...

Get all the basics of service/maintenance out of the way first.

Most problems start or exsist there.

opsled

Back