Float Height adjustment?

Bryan3600

I have my carbs apart and want to ensure I am adjusting the float height correctly. I followed the carb cleaning tutorial, very helpful. JUst want to make sure I have the floats adjusted properly.

My problem was, the sled has always been a little tough to start I assumed that was because its been so cold. After it has ran it recently and then tried to restart 10 mins later it would not restart. This happened a few times. The plugs were a bit wet and I noticed if I held the throttle open a bit it would start. All leads me to believe Im flooding. I recently changed the quad psi pipes to stock and rejetted to 93 specs. It runs great after started.

So if I am following the float adjustment correctly, mine were a bit high. ( Although I did not see any fuel coming from the overflow) I measured from the lip of the float bowl to the top of the metal float tab, see picture. I adjusted down to 13 MM. Is this correct? Im a bit concerned because it seems like the tab I bent to adjust is much higher than what I saw in the carb cleaning section.

I also just changed the oring on the needle seat. They were in there pretty tight but the orings were hard.

Attachments

• CAM00461[1].jpg
    CAM00461[1].jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 53
  • CAM00465[1].jpg
    CAM00465[1].jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 51

Oh and the previous owner had installed cut off valves in the fuel lines before the fuel pumps. I noticed I am getting air in one of the fuel lines, could a diaphragm be bad in the pump causing the carb to flood?

I always checked my floats visually by making the top of float parallel with the carb body. Yours look like they are close but not quite parallel. Your flooding probably came from the bad orings. Good move replacing those.

Back