GETTING MY FEET WET

MRFUSION

Hey guys, getting near the end of my 96 asphalt project. Looking to try this out at a local track here in a few weeks. Im took my three carbs from my mountain sled and added one for this project. Looking for a little help on a jumping off point for jetting and clutching. You guys spread lots of good info. I got my cylinders ported and and some head work done(still waiting for their arrival) and have 38 TMX carbs taper bored to 44mm. I have Boyesen Viper reed cages and bender pipes. I am have 8bu weights and am wondering about a helix angle and gearing? I have a wahl suspension with a 15 inch wide slick. Suspension and track was already on sled from previous owner. Hope I like it, kind of a mountain guy who wants to sled year round. Thanx for any help guys, great site.

SRXMAGIC and Jabber have done asphalt racing. They should be able to help you out.

Keep us posted how you do!

Ike

Well I will get back to you on my gearing, but my engine is stock throughout the bottom end. As for the top end I have porting work done from Lowell Horning and he cut my heads and reshaped my domes to 15.6cc's. I will be putting a head on tomorrow to test my squish and determine my what fuel I should be running. This machine was raced on asphalt before I baught it but the engine was stock with bender pipes. He had lowered the unit and installed a wahl suspension system with a 121x15 slick under it. I installed pyros in the pipes 6.5 inches from piston skirt. I own a yamaha shop here in Alberta so I do have a selection of gears,springs and helixes for this unit but am used to running my mountain machine and need some help for this project on tar. I run in 2 weeks and would like to be half ass close with gearing and clutching but I do realize that I have tuning ahead. Thanx guys for all your help.

still running the benders? They are supposed to run at 9000r's right?

edit: see you are running benders

Did you run the TMX carbs with the bender pipes before?? I ran benders on a ported 90 deg. eng. with bord carbs and all I can say is start rich they like there fuel. Nothing like the PSI's....

I was running the bender pipes because they came with the unit but I also have a set of psi pipes that came with a different chassis I baught cheap. I guess I chose the benders because they looked like new in the drag chassis I baught. Do you guys think the PSI pipes will develop more power? I can easily clean up the rusty PSI pipes. I did some research on whick of the two pipes to use here on this site and gathered mixed results. As for the jetting on the TMX carbs I have power jets cut to the top third of the venturi for full throttle tuning. I checked my gearing today and found 23/38 gearing the guy before had been using. Thanx again for the info.

PSI´s do make more power. There are dyno sheets floating around somewhere. Yammiegod dynoed his 800 with PSI quads when he bought it new. 22 hp over stock (good old fuel...). Benders are supposed to be around 18 hp over stock. I think it all comes down to the knowledge of the tuner with today´s fuel (jetting, chassis,driveline etc.). Different rpm´s with different pipes = different setups. Like you probably know allready.

I´ll dig dynosheets for you. Igot them on my homecomputer (now at work)

Ike

EDIT

http://www.vmax4.com/techmain.htm

http://www.vmax4.com/PSIquads.htm

http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2476&highlight=dyno

Last edited:

Back