how to imporove ridability & ergonomics of a v max600 question

Kevin Brown

Hi Gang
I own a 94 V max 600 & a 94 V max 750
I enjoy both but feel the 600 has really not a lot of value so I don't mind modifying it for better trail use. Im 6ft tall with a bad back . I cant justify spending $5000 + for amount that I ride & I love the look of the old 94-96 v maxes. So I see a few upgrades a better skid maybe out of a 96 V max 600 xt or even better 97 xtc which has 11.5 " of travel vrs the stock 8.5 of travel. I think the front struts which are basically pogo sticks could be upgraded to v max 4 adjustable dampening models (will they fit)? Maybe a 2-3" handle bar riser & a taller seat from a 96 v max 600 xt. I have talked to a few riders down here & even my Yamaha dealer & all feel the problems is really 2 issues. Suspension travel & ergonomics. The new sleds have your feet almost underneath you, therefore its easy to transfer your weight to them in rough conditions. Ofcourse the other option is just buy a 96 Vmax600 XT. Any suggestions guys?? Is there enough benefit for all the effort of either modifying mine or purchasing a different model vmax600 xt. Riding style = 20-50 mph based on conditions usually 70-120mile day trips. Usually groomed trails. I say loosely as they tend to have moguls at days end. Based on my back issues I don't put my feet in the wells up front but keep my legs bent & feet near underneath me to help act as shocks. This helps a lot but I have long legs. Maybe a seat 2-3" taller would make significant difference. ??? but I don't know. Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin

You can send your struts to Schmidt bros. and have them rebuilt. Plastics skis help. Taller seat does help. Extending the rear skid to a 136 will help bridge the bumps. As for rear skid, many many choices out there, all better than stock. A set of bars, taller and better ergos, from a later model Yamaha will help.

THanks
I guess one of my main questions is purchasing some parts like skid/seat to improve the 94 or just go buy a 96 600 xt has quite a few improvements over the 94. different secondary, different stock exhaust, skid, front adjustable struts. thicker seat, electric start & reverse. To be honest I don't care about electric start but reverse sounds nice for getting out of the garage or gas pumps. . I have heard some things about the 96 being harder on fuel & slower but that's the only things I have heard. I might start a new thread asking specifically that

Back