How to make a race sled out of and Phazer MountainLite...

Ike

I copied this topic from Totallyamaha where I posted it first

My brother (SamueLJackson) is a somekind of an nut when it comes to building older sleds. He has history with several SRV´s,Vmax540´s, Exciter´s (lc), Vmax XT´s and with my Vmax4 in racing. He also has raced XP Doo´s in enduro racing and in sprints here in Finland. And he also writes test reports to an finnish snowmobile magazine here in finland.

His latest project involved a Phazer MountainLite which he´s raced in the historic class here in sprint and enduro racing. In that class you can ride older sleds up to 500cc, fan or liquid cooled,and the sled has to be older than 2003. He chose the Phazer as a half serious joke, since he knew other racers were planning to race 440 Lynx and Doo sleds, and also 500 Edge Polaris sleds. He wanted to show that you can race a Phazer , and be in the podium with it.

30mlvn8.jpg

That was the starting point for the project. Almost brand new Phazer. Only 15000km´s on it.

spyhq0.jpg

znq6i1.jpg

After adding a full set of piggypack 46mm KYB´s and some strengthtening of the chassis and skid, sled was ready to be tested.

After one sprint race, he noticed that Phazer needs some serious tinkering with jetting, clutching, suspension, seat, track, handlebars etc... So some really long nights were spent at garage.

After few tests and days spent on the trails, Phazer was able to handle that punisment. Ride like you stole it etc was the attitude what was needed to race against bigger hp sleds. Only part what was not touched was that motor. Later on that...

So after some succesful testing and racing, Sami tought that he would like to take part in the longest enduro race in europe, the GIANT (www.giant.fi). Some americans have also raced that race, likes of Paul Mack and Kirk Hibbert ( http://www.tucker-hibbert.com/blog/blog/finland-old-friends-new-friends/ ) "Only days before our trip, I got an email from Raoul Bergman, Kirk’s long lost friend who was his Finnish tour guide and Arctic Cat teammate for a cross-country race 20 years ago. The Giant Enduro was a two-day, 565-mile race in Kemijärvi, Finland. They raced eight hours each day and were only allowed one 10-minute break for food and water. Kirk called it, “A true cross-country race…one of the most enjoyable races of my career.”. And some french motorcycle racers whom raced the Paris-Dakar few times. Toni Haikonen has also won the race before he went to USA to race in snoX back in 1992.

Today the race is in 8 long special stages (like in WRC rallying), but it still is a long and hard race. You only get a 1 hour after the first day to repair / maintance time to your race sled.

GIANT was raced last weekend and the result was great. Sami finished second in his class. Phazer and the rider got trough the gruelling 2-day race with zero problems, or almost zero problems. The engine in the Phazer was starting to show signs of loosing power in the second day, in the second to last special stage. So Sami was forced to slow down and save the motor and make sure he kept his second place. Some serious metal noises from the clutch side bearings in the crank area were heard when rpm´s were in the 8000´s.

1z1xnde.jpg

2u9j24p.jpg

2irk82.jpg

Here is Sami racing ss7 and in ss1 in GIANT last saturday and friday. copyright Race Only. Like Sami said; "the time what I loose in the lake crossings, I make up in the twisties in forest. I just hold it wot over there too" LOL

More pics of GIANT can be found at https://www.facebook.com/RaceOnly?fref=ts RaceOnly facebook and from https://www.facebook.com/kemijarvenmk/photos_stream Kemijärvi´s motor club.

Ike

Last edited:

Back