m-10 in '94 st

rustman

I am in the process off extending and installng an m-10(newer style) into my 94 st body. Does anybody know if I have to relocate the small set of stock upper idler wheels. the ones that are on a shaft all by their lonesome and not part of the actual skid. As it stands right now, they will be mounted so close to the rear upper cross shaft of the m-10 that they cant be effective at anything. My two thoughts are to move them forward or lose them altogether.

Thanks,

Rustman

Lose them altogether... I have a m-10 in mine and that is what was done and it works great.

On the stock skid setup, those wheels only served to put some track tension across the top of the track to keep it from flapping up and down and hitting the tunnel. I'm not real familiar with the M-10, but it sounds like the upper cross shaft may already be serving that purpose. I would tend to agree with Tyler.

Shark

The main thing about installing an aftermarket skidframe is to use the original cast aluminum wheels to maintain the good looks of the snowmobile, or mail them to me.

Tyler, would you mind taking a picture or two of your mounting locations. I almost had mine in but when i got it close the track was extremely tight with the rear axle adjusted in the whole way. I am using a big wheel kit in the rear so i am thinking that has something to do with it.

Thanks,

Rustman

The main thing about installing an aftermarket skidframe is to use the original cast aluminum wheels to maintain the good looks of the snowmobile, or mail them to me.

I agree with you, I actually had to install a few more wheels to make up for the extended frame. Luckily enough I had a few outside mounting wheels from a pro-action that fit really nice. I also had to repalce an inner wheel so I said to heck with it and used the cross shaft and two inner wheels from the pro-action akid as well. M-10 was slightly more narrow than the pro-action, maybe 1/8 inch or so, but wasnt too bad. So im almost half way done switching them over.

Those small upper wheels work really well mounted on a cross shaft that held larger idler wheels between the rails, and then used to replace the front limit strap shaft to reduce wear on the front rail caps. I have been doing this on a monoshock suspension for the last couple of years with a full set of the cast wheels on an apex.

Sure will Rustman... I will take a few good pics and take some measurements for ya. I will be changing out the drivers and track tomorrow so i will do it then and post tomorrow evening.

Sure will Rustman... I will take a few good pics and take some measurements for ya. I will be changing out the drivers and track tomorrow so i will do it then and post tomorrow evening.

Sounds great, I made some progress this afternoon but I would still appreciate the pics and measurements.

Thanks,

Rustman

I hope the pics help...

In the first pic the measurement is made from the center of the drive shaft to center and it is 5inches. Then 25 inches from center to center of the 2 mount points.

Attachments

• 2011-11-20_13-19-28_857.jpg
    2011-11-20_13-19-28_857.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 99
  • 2011-11-20_13-19-41_524.jpg
    2011-11-20_13-19-41_524.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 2011-11-20_13-20-09_640.jpg
    2011-11-20_13-20-09_640.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 2011-11-20_13-21-24_187.jpg
    2011-11-20_13-21-24_187.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 101
thanks very much, I managed to get mine mostly in today. I didnt realize just how close to the drivers you could install that skid. I am now going out to take another look and compare measurements.

Yours is most definitely tighter to the drive axle then mine but the shaft to shaft distance is bang on.

4X4 said:

I agree with you, I actually had to install a few more wheels to make up for the extended frame. Luckily enough I had a few outside mounting wheels from a pro-action that fit really nice. I also had to repalce an inner wheel so I said to heck with it and used the cross shaft and two inner wheels from the pro-action akid as well. M-10 was slightly more narrow than the pro-action, maybe 1/8 inch or so, but wasnt too bad. So im almost half way done switching them over.
I wanted to use the original cast aluminum wheels after I installed my ProAction, so I had one of my guys turn up some adapters on his lathe and they work great.

rustman - I think your sled looks awesome with the rear end up that high.

Shark

Last edited:

Back