motor apart need some advice

VANDEE97vmax4

heres the skinny. Last year I had found out that I forgot to put oil in the engine gear box the previous year(ya i know dumb@@@) good thing I hadn't put very many miles on (so I thought or was hoping) just a few hundred. Well I added the oil ran it last year about the same but it was really starting to clader when strarting. I had come to the conclusion that it was the clutch making all the racket because it was going away past idle. i thought I would dig into the clutch before I go tomorrow and make sure that it was the clutch. Nope the gear box is full of pieces of metal and burnt smelling gear oil. I have the primary shaft out and unbolted. the two gears and the absorbers are where the metal is coming from. I could move the one side three teeth compared to the one next to it. How much back and forth movement should there be if any? The gears on the crank look good. the gears on the front shaft show some wear very minimal so do I dare replace just the absorbers or should I replace the gears on the front shaft as well? they are very expensive. o ya how are the two gears on the crank shaft suposed to be indexed when I put it back together? thanks for any advice.
I went back out to look and found that the pieces of metal are nothing more than the destroyed absorber from that side gear. The wear on the gears looks more like the 9000 miles worth of abuse. Has anyone had this happen before?

Last edited:

I see nobody had a reply, but still could use help with the indexing of the two cranks and where I could get the absorbers without paying dealer cost. The dealers are telling me that they are about $16.00 a piece and I need 16 of them. I'm looking into a bearing supplier and see if they can get them.

Never had the gear case open on mine yet.

I assume this is the part# 8BU-16165-00-00

What do these do? They look like they are just spacers, but I assume the gears fit with a little play over these and they allow the gears to slide left to right to align with the gears on the crank?

A bushing supplier may be able to find something close if you can get them dimensions. Do they have any numbers etched on the edges of them? I assume they are hardened steel?

my best guess is for dampening. they are made of hard rubber. they don't do anything for side to side movement just front to back. on the one side they where totally gone which makes the banging noise when pulling it over because the gear has so much play forward and back and nothing left but metal on metal. This would also give the appearance that the gears are worn and have to much gear lash. the other side absorbers are still in there, but are worn and cracked so it looks like I will have to replace all of them. I guess it is funny to me because I have heard many talk about the same problem with the clutches making so much noise when starting and everybody talks about turning the idle up until it goes away. I have done the same untill it didn't go away, and only until the the clutch engaged. durring normal riding you didn't hear it. After seeing what my problem is, I wonder how many have missed it thinking the motor was shot, so they sold it or spent exrta money on their clutch trying to make it go away. I'll have to look closer, but I think this can be fixed without removing the jugs and pistons. I think it is really a simple fix just hope I can find them cheaper than dealer cost. I wish I had looked at them when I rebuilt the motor two years ago when it make the same noise just not as loud.

The Vmax4 is actually 2 motors. The reason for the cush drive sprocket (dampening) on a 800 is that one motor likes to run faster than the other so the dampener takes up the shock and keeps both sides at the same rpm. These things really take a pounding on a 180 deg motor. On the 750's they used a solid gear. The 800 cranks are aligned with a hole in each side of the crank gear. Once you have the cranks aligned it don't matter where the PTO gear sits, just mesh the gears with the crank and tighten er up. I have an extra cush drive gear and dampner in good shape if you need one. Hope this helps ya

Both holes lined up is the indexing? I figured as much but wasn't sure. Where can I get torque specs for reassembly for the entire motor?

I found it it just took a long time for it to load.

Last edited:

Back