new here going to look at probably my first 4 tomorrow

Rocket_Jesse

ok so as the title says first post here!! im going to check out a 92 v max 4 750 tomorrow was wondering if anyone had any pointers to look for? also this sled has 3600 miles what should i pay for it? hyave always loved the 4s first chance to pick one up so hopefully you guys can help me a little and everything looks good thanks in advance, Jesse

Welcome to the site Jesse!

Make sure it is firing on all four (many guys bring along a compression tester). These things will run on three and to the uneducated ear, it can be tough to tell (especially if running aftermarket [loud] exhaust). If running on 3 the power is waaaay down as is throttle response.

If it still has the original aluminum skiis, verify that they are not wore through at the back. If that's the case, it can be pretty pricey to get replacement skis if you want to keep the original look.

Also I'd take a look at the slidewear/track condition. Look up inside the tunnel to see if it ever had studs do some damage to the coolers/specifically the rear one. I've bought sleds before and didn't realize there was damage underneath until later.

Make sure the speedo works, if not it could have a shot bearing on the speedo p/up side of the main track drive. Not super pricey to do yourself but it does take some time.

As for the price...'92s are going for somewhere between 1100 and 1800 depending on condition in Michigan. With you being in Illinois, I would assume you will be in the same price range.

Good luck and enjoy your new Max!

Last edited:

Check that the crank is on phase 92 were bad for crank going out of phase . Quad pipes take it out when reving over 8250 rpm

check for play in the two-piece jackshaft, the sled is low mileage but they do go bad. also check bushing in secondary, they are prone to failure as well. it is the bushing on the back side of the clutch where the helix slides through. to check for free play in the jackshaft you can hold the brake on and turn the secondary back and forth by hand, may be easier with belt off.

Back