Newbie looking for info on 93'

boody1981

Hey guys, new to the forum as I don't currently have a Vmax 4 but I have the opportunity to buy one locally. It's a 1993 model and appears to be in nice shape totally stock. These are really rare around here and any that are ever for sale are always modded to the nuts. I've always wanted a V-4 ever since I saw the first one in the Yamaha Show truck in 1991. My family owned a Yamaha/Polaris dealership for 35 yrs so I know my way around sleds, but don't know a lot about the big V-max's. I'm looking for some insight as to whether or not to stay away from the 93' model year or things to look for/be aware of specific to the Vmax 4's or that year. Also is the rear suspension upgrade easy to do? and what are the recommendations, ie. Proaction or M-10 as far as install goes.
Thanks for your time

There is nothing wrong with the suspension on a 93 unless the bushings are worn allowing slop. I like the proaction more than the M-10 but with any suspension on these keep the back as low as possible, not jacked up as that degrades the front suspension.

Let us know if you get it and you will love it, they are a very cool sled
Good to see some one from MB

Ya i've got an XCR 800 with 18,000 miles on it so I'm all about the big muscle. I've been in love with the V4's since the announcement. Hopefully going to get him towards $1000. It'll be a novelty sled for me, riding groomed trails only, poker derby's. It'll be hard to choose between it and the XCR......I can think of worse problems.

93 Vmax4 is my favourite year. Something about the graphic design is most appealing to me of all the Vmax4 years. Just my 2 cents of opinion, but if this sled is in really nice shape, I would leave her all stock for later on in years to increase its value as I truly believe thats were these sleds are going. Buy her up!!!...Rob.

Ya Rob I think the same thing. My XCR is a 2000 with quite a few upgrades but no engine mods......hence the original motor having 18,000 miles on it and counting.

Just got on site ...mines blue with gray never seen another one what colors yours ? Mine all so has a blue dot on brake light one guy said to me cause it was a race sled any information

I've had my '93 since it was brand new. I thought about getting a '92, but figured I'd wait a year and let Yamaha sort out the issues with the new design. I think that was a good decision because they made some improvements on the '93's. I've got a lot of great memories with that sled. It never left me stranded. Even when the driveshaft got torn out of the frame because the dealer didn't tighten the bolts holding the speedometer housing, I was still able to limp back to camp. I was never afraid to ride that sled out in the woods by myself, even in the middle of the night. Got a few lectures from my Mom about that, even though I was in my 40's! I've always been partial to the pink. My riding buddies gave me crap about it, but I'd tell them Yamaha figured with a sled this bad, they could get away with pink. I've got a blue dot taillight, but it's never been a race sled. I put it on because it turns the taillight pink when I put on the brakes.

boody1981, buy the sled, you won't be sorry.

Shark

Unfortunately the sled was sold, but I'm working on another. Same year, low miles. $1000 is the lowest he'll go which I'll pay in a second for a running Vmax 4. Just waiting on pictures. I'll post them when he sends them.

Back