Note to self .............check the very easy stupid things first

yamaha nutz

well after a day and a half going through a 96 v-4 trying to figure out why it ran rich ......with no power after going through clutches and completely ripping the carbs down (it needed it) and thoroughly cleaning them and finding 3of the 4 seat orings rock hard and most likely leaking go ti all back together sounded great on the stand right rpms .......... closed the hood and took it out for a blast in the front yard nothing no power after engagement .............side note it was brought to me last year after a supossed master vmax 4 racer could not figure it out i took it for a ride and said it was rich .............shop was already closed for the night and i was headed out riding .........just kept on being told it had to be crank seals ..........yada yada yada .............well after some good detailed help from OPSLED thought i had it licked ..............nope come back into the shop raise the hood put it up on the stand and double check everything .............still thinking to myself ...........what the hell it revs and wants to jump off the ground with the hood up ......shut the hood to check the r's and like it is starving for air or rich ...........i know i checked the air boxes then i raise the hood and happen to look at the intake under the hood ...................................................man am i a idiot ............well not me but someone else .......................original intake foam was gone from under the hood and someone replaced it with a very dense piece of foam ...................pulled it out and hold on the machine is alive .................so when he comes to get it there will be some ?????????????????'s on who did this ...............it now has a stock pre filter in it

Nutz

At least you didn't pull the engine apart....I probably would have! The best things in life are sometimes pretty much free! lol

LOL!!!!

Who woulda thunk!!! Glad ya found the problem Mike. That's a new one on me too.

Hmmmmm, wonder who woulda done sumthin like that??????????

opsled

cool, glad ya got it figured out!

and thats defiantly not the first time that`s been done/happenned...

can`t remember who..but last year someone posted about some problems they were having..ended up bieng basically the same thing..real thick foam filters in the top of the boxes..

This was the prefilter between the hood and dash ..............also noticed that the V4 seals hood seals to the air boxes much better than any other yamaha out there

Glad you figured it out, those prefilters are coarse for a reason.
I did change my airbox filters from the coarse foam to the newer screen type.

Back