phazer engine swap

4with4

I've got a 93 Phazer that runs just fine. The chassis is beat up a bit but works. I've got a line on a 99 Phazer complete except for engine. Pipe, carbs, engine shroud are all there. My question is will my 93 engine bolt into the 99 chassis. Did Yamaha do their famous "if it works, don't fix it" engineering with the engine mounting holes for the Phazer? This would be a nice upgrade ride and handling wise for the family.

No, not a bolt in. The bottom ends on trailing arm Phazers got redesigned and are different in parts and mounting. Top ends are the same. The pre trailing arm engines will fit but you will need to make some mounts and probably some other stuff.

opsled

Thanks OPsled. If it's just a matter of fabbing a different motor mounting set up, I might be up for that. I just don't want to have to modify a bunch of stuff on the cases to make it fit in. I've done that stuff before and I always seem to loose interest before I finish the job completely. Normally I wouldn't consider this, and the amount of riding we haven't done over the past 5 years sure doesn't justify the work for this swap but the proaction ride and handling are so far superior to the 93 chassis that it would be a totally new sled.

Back