Primary clutch bearing

can1

Need advise on how to remove this bearing, can I use a 3 leg puller or needs to be pressed off? And to put new one on, does it need to be pressed on? cheers

what exact bearing are you talking about?
the one in the cap?

Sorry, I`m kinda lost...

Hi AL
Yes, the 6269 bearing right behind the primary. I dont want to cause any damage to the shaft
cheers

to replace the bearing (By-metal bushing) on/in the moveable sheave (Bushing "B")..you have to un-thread the other sheave nearest the motor...takes a special tool to do that...

The "cap" bushing (Bushing "A") can be replaced simply by removing it, and pressing out/in the new bushing..

AL P

Last edited:
Here`s a couple pictures, so we can be sure, we`er talking about the same thing/s
dscf0021v.jpg

dscf0022m.jpg

dscf0023x.jpg

I think he is talking about the ball bearing on the PTO shaft in the stator cover.

If so, yes it is a press fit (up against a shoulder on the shaft). Having the shaft out and doing it in a press would be best but that requires splitting the cases (a lot of work). A "push/pull" method using pullers and pushers off the end of the crank should work fine but you may need to Mcgiver up some tools to do so. Just be carfull not to damage the treads in the end of the shaft and DON'T!! use a hammer. You could do internal damage to the gearcase. You will need to remove the stator cover but that's an easy and self evident job.

Whats the problem with your bearing anyway? Bad or just preventitive maintenence? I've never had to replace one but I do check them and repack them when I'm going through a sled. You can easily pop the rubber seals/dust shields right out of them, wash them out, inspect and repack them right on the sled (I use hi-speed, low temp, waterproof synthetic grease). The seals should pop right back in without any issues. I've also done this with drivetrain and suspension bearings without a failure.

T'was a trick given to me by my dealer (35 years with Yamaha). He could have sold me the new bearing he had in his hand but said it was unnessessary. My bearing was fine, just needed a repacking.

Good Luck,
Phil (opsled)

thanks to both of you on the input, yes its the bearing on the shaft and no I dont want to split the cases. The Sled has 4000k and just wanted to do some maintenance, amazing what kind of forces this little bearing must take, supprise it does not require periodic replacement. I have the new bearing ready to go and just needed some advise. When done I post my failure or success. cheers

Back