REPLACEMENT TURBO FOR MY AERODYNE

HANDSOM E

My aerodyne is pooched. New one is $2600 and 4 week wait. Aerocharger wants $300 just to diagnose the turbo. Any ideas as to what a good replacement would be ?

Look at the SnoWest Forums under the Classified "Turbo" for sale section. They always have quite a few good used Series 53 Turbo's for sale (www.snowest.com). Make sure that you buy a 143N-300A, which was the larger of the Series 53; the 143N-200A and 250A were the smaller versions used on the smaller 600 XCR's, XLT's, and Rotax 583 engines. If you watch you can find them for $500 to $1000 USD. You would have lots of modifying and fabricating if you switched from an Aerodyne to say a Garrett GT series turbo, not to mention building the oiling system.

My turbo is a pro to type that is bigger than a 53 from 1989. So far we don't know what it actually is.

As per my post above, the 143N-300A is the larger of the Aerodyne Series 53 family, obviously that is what you currently have. Even with the new Aerocharger Series 66 turbo's available on the market, they are hard to find used, and I believe they are around $2800 new. Used you will still pay $2000 if you watch the forums (SnoWest would be best to watch). If you want to go to a Series 66 upgrade, you will need to redesign your existing turbo Y-pipe to fit. On top of that you will need to also design and build a new turbo dump pipe for the Series 66; I'd recommend going to a 3" dump pipe diameter if you choose that route. Last you will need to go to an aftermarket fuel system upgrade which consist of a machining a new fuel log, new fuel regulator, fuel pump, and larger I.D. fuel lines to accommodate the benefits of using the larger Series 66 turbo; so its not a quick "swap out" job when upgrading a Vmax-4 from a Series 53 to Series 66 Turbo.

Oh yeah, last if you buy a used Aerodyne turbo regardless of it being a 53 or 66; make sure to ask the owner if they ever broke reed pedals under use... broken reed pedals will damage the turbine wheel and the adjustable vanes when they are hot from the exhaust heat. Its about $700 to have new vanes installed by Aerocharger or the Turbo Doc in Utah. Just some food for your thoughts!

Justin Durand

Thanks for all the valuable info racer. I sent out my turbo to get rebuilt. I dont have the time to upsize turbo. I may put some no2 on after I get it dialed in. That could be 2 years from now lol.

Apparently aerocharger can't rebuild my turbo. Any recommendations on what garret turbo and oiling system to use ?

Back