Spark plugs on 600 Vmax

Exciter570

Hi guys,

I'm running GYT twins on my 600 Vmax and while I have it tuned fairly well, the sled still is a touch rich in the mid range when temps are a bit warmer. I always see 10+mpg and typically average about 13mpg and only dip down to the 10mpg range when it's 32+ degrees out, so gas mileage is good.

On Sunday it was warm out, 34 degrees, gas mileage dropped to about just over 10mpg but the sled was rich in the mid range, plugs were black and oily.

Today, temps cooled and were in the 20's for most of the day, sled was back to 13 mpg, but still could tell it was a touch rich in the mid, plugs were black but not as oily.

The sled runs its best when its 15 degrees or lower out and I'll see as much as 14 mpg when it's nice and cold out.

So my question is if the BR9ECS plug would help clean this problem out at all. I've read in some posts that some have used this plug in piped sleds.

Don't get me wrong, the sled runs good and I'm happy with the gas mileage and performance but I'm looking for as close to perfection as I can get across a broad spectrum of temps without having to change jets or install a "dial a jet" mechanism.

Exciter570 said:
So my question is if the BR9ECS plug would help clean this problem out at all.
I'm not so sure on that it's the same heat range just different ground
strap.

i would say no, i run both and have never seen one being better then the
other,motor running wise..

Thanks guys, I ran them today, but it wasn't a fair test as it was cold out. 4 degrees right now, sled loves these kind of temps.

I actually think the sled uses too much oil as I'm getting good gas mileage, but a slight bog in the mid when its warmer and my plugs have the oily residue on the threads. I've got my needles dropped and am running the jets specified for the pipes.

Also need to check the air screws, they may have gotten turned in somehow, don't see how, but ya never know. With the GYTs they need to be 2 turns out.

Back