Swapping a 750 to 800

Ragaboo

Hi, My 750 has an out of phase crank. I picked up an 800 for a good deal and now have some questions and i know someone here has the answers. :)

Can I use the stock exhaust from a 750 to an 800. From what I understand the 800 Y-pipe is 2mm bigger than the 750. Can I use the stock 750 pipes?

And can I still use the CDI from the 750 to run the 800?

I already picked up weights and a primary spring and installed the 800 jackshaft, chaincase, gears and secondary.

Thanks!

750 exhaust should work, but you will be losing horsepower by doing so. If you have a 94 750 the harness for the cdi is the same as the 800 and should work but again you will be losing performance.

Yes you can, depending on what year 750 you have it may just bolt straight up, or you may have/want to swap your stators across to save chopping them both up to swap the plugs.

lf you are done hemorrhaging money for the time being (we all know that feeling) i would just do the above. l doubt it will feel less than your 750 did, especially if the 800 came with a primary.

As livinlo said you can get more power with the 800s parts, Carbs .CDI, Y pipes & expansion chambers) also , when you have done this you will want to change your clutch setup. Try and do the upgrades all at once, if you do them in parts do them in the order above,

Thanks for the info!!
I found a guy that will sell me the weights, spring, Y-pipes, expansion chambers and 1 piston for $500. Think that's a good deal?
I decided to pick up a piston because apparently Yamaha does not make them anymore.

IF I decide to use the 750 y-pipes and expansion chambers it will just result in a loss of power correct? There shouldn't be a chance of seizing the motor?

Thanks

That's not a great deal. Not terrible but not great. Normally the 800 pipes and y's go for about 200 bucks. A lot of times less. A spring about 40 bucks brand new. Stock spring kind of sucks anyways so a different spring is in your best interest. A used set of weights could be found for under $100. New piston or used? Hard to put a price on them now that they are discontinued, but 30 or 40 bucks seems in the ball park for a used one. I guess the good thing is he has it all right there.

Well l got all the parts! :)
I got the Y pipes and pipes for $200 and an Orange spring and 3 weights.
Also got 3 pistons for 40$/each.

The weights have rivets in the center hole but none in the tip... is this right?
Should I put weight on the tip? I know l will have to fine tune but where should l start?

thnx

Back