Triming inside hood vent for PSi pipe clearance

TZR750

Looking for a picture of how you did it? I have not tried to shut hood yet, alos does anybody have pics of how they wraped up the springs around the pipes, looking for installed pic's in's and outs advise?IMG-20131213-00306.jpgIMG-20131213-00307.jpgIMG-20131213-00308.jpg

There is a rub/dent mark on my pipe from lack of hood clearance. If you don't get it figured out by Monday I will text you a picture. Won't be able to do so until then.

Man I messed w/ this for a full day. :beathead: I finally used a Air grinder w/ a find stone on it to trim the screen and a little of my hood (bottom where the vent screen mounts). My PSI quads actually had a dent in that exact area when I got them but I took them to a local exhaust shop and got the dent removed before ceramic coating. (from pic looks like you may have dent too) I'm happy w/ how it turned out and can send you some pic's but will be about a week before I head up North again. Take a look at this picture....

You removed the exhaust mounting bracket on your front bumper right?

Attachments

• PSI Installed-diagram.jpg
    PSI Installed-diagram.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I didn't install my pipes, they were installed at a performance shop many years ago. It looks like they cut on a diagonal with a hacksaw, then installed the big rivet. The way mine was cut is still not enough relief. I have the dent in my pipe like you guys. They may have dented the pipe to make the hood close, I don't know. I would advise that you cut even more away, then lower your hood slowly to see it it's going to have enough clearance.

Shark

DSCN2318_1.jpg

That's good advise and pic's guy's really appreciate it, I'll have to buy a rivet gun now, and some rivets, any idea on what size rivets to buy? or drill bit to drill out oem rivet? Im really inexperienced with rivets., Also pic's of how you routed the overflow rad tube by recoil, and any spring wraps for silencers, plus Im not sure where to put spring clip on chaincase housing, no instuctions directions came with these, had to buy a hardware item to use as a spring clip big rubber washers for bottom of silencers, getting a little homemade on the improvitization... also how hard is it to pull fule tank to drain old gas??, i used siphon but cant get it all....looks like there's still a half gallon left in tank

You either dent your pipe or cut the hood. If hood is original might be better to dent the pipe. Pulling gas tank is easy. Pull the seat and only few bolts. Replace fuel filter while your at it. Spring clip goes on bottom left of chaincase. I think there are instructions for install of psi pipes on the site somewhere.

Last edited:
Im thinking you might be right Ted, I really dont want to cut the hood, Idk? I''ve got plenty to do that's for sure and a one car garage with limited tools, so it's taking longer than I wanted, sure would like to get up to Gaylord area, mancelona, caddilac, etc.. between christmas and newyears, all the premium fuel should be fresh and flowing like gold at the gas stations and all amenities open late

There is a little spring clip that attaches to the exhaust flange bolt on the pipe closest to the starter. The spring wraps around the pipes and attaches to a loop that's welded to the side of the pipe closest to the starter. You can click on the pictures to make them larger. You can see part of the radiator overflow hose that goes along the top of the starter, behind the rope, and down into the bellypan. There are holes in the bottom of the bellypan that let the coolant drain out.

12-23-2006 001.jpg

There is another little clip that attaches to a bolt on the bottom of the chaincase. The spring goes from that clip to a loop that's welded on the back side of the silencer, just before it exits out the exhaust hole. There is an angle bracket welded to the back of the silencer pipes that has a rubber bumper on it to keep it from rubbing the chaincase when the spring pulls it back. I don't have any pictures of that, but can take one if you need it. Actually, you can see the bracket under the brake disc between the pipe and chaincase.

Shark

12-23-2006 002.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting up with help Carl, mark, Ted Alan i really appreciate it.
I cant wait!! to here it run!!

Back