trying to trail clutch

peterg

ive tried to find 43-37 helix for my 93 to run yammigods trail set up and its not gonna happen. im not very good at understanding weights, spring rates, clutching, and all that jazz. so thats why im asking if there is some other options for my 93 besides having a helix made or doing a secondary swap neither of witch i can afford. i can get a tall cover i can get a 42-37 if i need to but i have no idea. does anybody have a trail set up i can put together without breaking the bank or really hard to find parts???? besides pipes clutching is really the only thing my vmax needs to make me happy:rockon: thanks for all the help

can i still run yammigods trail stock pipe setup with a 42-37? can i or should change a gear tooth or two? i guess i just want a little more low mid range grunt i think. i dont mind loosing a little top end but not too much. any help would be great thanks

If you got standard setup, it will still be a big improvement. I would start there. Jammiegod setup is a very good sugestion, but not nessaserally exactly what you need. I am using it myself (800 setup) but i had to go down a few degrees on angle because i needed a better backshift when climbing. The only way to learn clutching is to try different setup your self.
In all, cluthing for high speed, climbing, or fast acceleration, trail use, is all different setup.
clutching is not easy even when you gain a bit experience. I started messing around with it 3 years ago. but i am still a beginner in this field. helixes and springs in stock now,are piling up.
When you find a good setup, for your use, it is a world of difference. my vmax went from pretty powerfull into near agressive.

can i still run yammigods trail stock pipe setup with a 42-37? can i or should change a gear tooth or two? i guess i just want a little more low mid range grunt i think. i dont mind loosing a little top end but not too much. any help would be great thanks

Peter,

The first thing you need to do in my opinion is make sure that everything that you currently have is working correctly, you may have already done some or all of these things but I will post some suggestions anyway. How many miles are on your sled?

A few suggestions would be; Make sure your clutches are clean, especially the secondary because they had a tendancy to bind, check bushings, ramp shoes, spring colour and current tension setting (Tension should be A3, B3, C3). Check your primary, look for stress cracks in the inner sheave, what spring is in it, is there any wear or flat spots on the primary weights, are the rollers in good condition and do they turn freely when the tension is off of them. Check the clutch center distance and offset. Check the offset above and below the center line of the clutch, if there is a big offset difference you can shim the motor to correct it (free hp). A 42/37 would probably be a good idea, and it probably won't need much tuning. No reason to change your gearing unless you are drag racing or setting up for mountain running. What kind of belt are you running, 8BU is the preferred. You've probably already done this but if not don't forget to change your chain case lube and adjust the tension, finger tight.

Ken

Last edited:
ken thanks for the detailed information and responding to my questions. the sled has 4100(i put 700 on last season) miles on it. i didnt start the sled the first 4 months i had it because i wanted to go through everything make sure there were no hidden surprises. what i found was stunning. the previous owner put the sled away in 1998 after the dealership went through the whole sled and it sat in the barn till i found her in 2009. there was nothing majorly damaged or ruined. the tss was all seized up and the origanal cover was shot along with the seat but nothing mecanical. clutches were mint no cracks flat spots just nice and clean. all the springs are stock and the secondary is set in the a3 postion i belive. checked my center to center, offset and all are in specs. i do have an 8bu new belt that i didnt run last year because it was my back up belt. the belt that im running now is a new yamaha belt its an 89a-17641. honestly the sled performed awsome. i was really happy and really surpised how much fun i was having on my vintage ride. i really just want to get out of the hole a little better i guess nothing crazy yet.

Back