Vintage srx crank questions

MountainMax

I have a 1980 SRX440 and my buddy has a 78 440 and he needs a crank, someone told him something about there are three different cranks for her, a, b, or c cranks, anyone here know what they are talking about here??

AMAZEING WHERE THIS STUFF COMES FROM. (a-b- c- cranks ) ? lol. THAT 1980 CRANK WILL BUT YOUR 1980 SRX HAS THE OIL INJECTION DRIVE GEAR ON IT. WHAT I WOULD DO IS A COMPLETE LOWER END SWAP. HIS TOP HALF WILL BOLT RIGHT ON YOUR LOWER END, BUT BYPASS OIL INJECTION ON THE 78. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Actually I looked at the online parts catalog at Yamaha and they list 4 different part numbers for cranks for 1980 alone, what is up with that, maybe this is what that yamaha guy was talking about.

MY 1980 SRX 440 D PARTS MANUAL BREAKES THAT CRANK DOWN TO EVERY PART ON IT WITH ALL INDIVISUAL YAMAHA PART NUMBERS. NOWHERE ARE THERE FOUR DEFFERENT CRANKS SHOW,IN. SORRY BUD, DON,T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YA. 3:16 (yammie tony)

i believe the 77 cranks had smaller lower rod pin diameters, the78 thru 80 crank was the same with larger lower rod pins except that the p.t.o end of crank on the 80 is a little longer to allow for the oil injection ring gear.

Last edited:
76 and 77 srx cranks used 18mm dia wrist pins on the connecting rods.
78-80 srx cranks used 20mm dia wrist pins on the connecting rods. 78-80 srx cranks are the same except for the oil injection gear on the 80.

The 78 cylinders and heads are made for the small diameter 78 and older cylinder studs. The 79 and 80 SRX use a larger diameter cylinder stud. Drilling out the holes in the heads are not a problem, but you will need a very long drill bit to drill the cylinders. Jeff Wurl

Back