Vmax 600 LE - Running fine, track doesn't move

twozeroone

Hello All,

I have a 1994 Vmax 600 LE. It is running well, I parked it last year, winterized it as much as possible and then just started it again this weekend. When I parked it all was fine. Now it starts and runs good, but it won't move. The clutch is grabbing and now burning up the belt, but the secondary isn't moving. There is about 1/4 inch play in the secondary moving to the chain case and also the disc brake is moving just a bit too so I know that isn't frozen.

I have put it on a stand and still no luck. I tried to loosen the belt, still not luck (though I'm not sure I did it right). I don't know what else to check. Should I take apart the chain case? I did add oil to it as there is no dip stick, but I didn't see any oil.

What is the easiest way to add take the chain case off?

Thanks for all replies!
-Scott

Are you hearing any weird noises? Taking the case apart isnt too hard of a job. And pretty easy to put back togeather. But, There is a gasket there if you take it apart, That may need replacing so be careful. Before you go at that, I would make sure its not something silly. Have you had your rear clutch off, to make sure its opening? they are also very easy to remove. unlike the primary. take it off and check the bushing that is in there.. My 750 Long track ate belts for lunch when that was gone. And wouldn't open. And eventually after that I ran into problems in the case with one of the bearings inside.. But, She would still move along when the bushing was gone.. Bad bearing resulted in vibrations and just ended up breaking the case all too hell. And you dont want that either.. Take that secondary off and see what the bushing inside is like, they arent so easy to get out, but you should be able to see if its gone. Clean it up a little and take an air hose and blow all the dust and gunk out from around your clutches. But my guess its got something to do with that secondary clutch. Let us know what you find out!

Should be a little hole on the Chain case to add oil as well, Not sure there's even a level as to how much.. Just fill until it starts coming out. Once you start adding if it takes a bunch, then well you know its empty. Another thing Kenneth mentioned was your bearings on your Driveshaft are they ceased maybe..? Like he was saying, Even if your bushing in your secondary was gone. It would still turn, as it really has no choice. Hope its something easy and you get er fixed quick, I know having a bum sled sucks. Also, Got any where heated to put it.. Thaw it out maybe..? Even if you have to pull it in there... Its worth a shot just to let it thaw out if its been outside in the weather..

Hello, Thanks for the response. I don't hear any noises, but it is not moving at all. the belt isn't even turning because the secondary isn't moving. So the belt is just burning in one spot. I needed a new belt anyway, so I'm not worried about that, I just want to get the track turning. I looked under it to see if a rock was stuck or something, no luck.....

If it were a bearing I would think that it would slowly break down, not just seize all at once, but I guess if it sat long enough and rusted together it could??? I can try to take off the secondary clutch and take a look. I am a mechanical person, but haven't done much work on the drive portion of a snowmobile... engine carbs etc, no problem....

I also thought about warming it up to see if something is just litterally frozen cold... But I don't have anywhere to put it that is warm.. It is under my deck now and my shed is full and not heated. I started it and let it run for 20 minutes thinking the motor would warm up the engine area enough to melt anything away that is in there......

I'll try the secondary... Any other ideas please let me know..

Try turning the secondary clutch or track backwards. If something is jamming it may be released and you will know if something is stuck or not. Turn the sled onto its left side and take off the chaincase cover off while standing up, and refill it before replacing the cover, you need to look in there sometimes anyway.

Hi 4X4...... So here is the fix: I put the back end up on a saw horse so the track was off the ground. I hand cranked the secondary clutch backwards with a wrench. It was very stiff to move. Then I could move the belt somewhat by hand. It was difficult, but it moved. So I started it and it is now moving fine.

Weird, it must have been jammed with something when trying to move in the forward position. I did try to pull it backwards so the belt would go in reverse, but it wouldn't pull. Not sure why it worked with the wrench, but it worked!

Sounds like you just broke a rusty bearing free. Find out which one it was and replace it now. It won't last if you don't change it.

Glad its fixed for ya, You should definitly find out which one it is.. Or its just going to be a pain in the future! Bum sled = No fun. Here we just got a pile of rain. But calling for 20 - 30cm friday.. fingers crossed!

there should be a screw in the bottom of chain case that drains it then on the cover you will see a ten mill bolt 2 to 3 inch from the bottom that is your level you fill from the top till oil comes out of oil level bolt it should be change yearly it cheep .if no oil come out you better inspect its cheaper to fix before it brakes . check jack shaft bearing if it looks rusty behind secondary clutch

Back