Vmax 800 drag motor help

Troy james

Hello I am new to this site and just purchased a 96 model 800 vmax motor for sand drag racing. I am not familiar with this motor at all and any input or advice on building this engine would be appreciated. I keep reading about engines being 180 or 90. I don't understand what that is about. And Also I usually advance my timing around 7 degrees to run alky, and need to know how to go about advancing it.

Hello I am new to this site and just purchased a 96 model 800 vmax motor for sand drag racing. I am not familiar with this motor at all and any input or advice on building this engine would be appreciated. I keep reading about engines being 180 or 90. I don't understand what that is about. And Also I usually advance my timing around 7 degrees to run alky, and need to know how to go about advancing it.

A 90 degree engine (standard) fires one cylinder every 90 degrees. A 180 engine fires 2 cylinders every 180 degrees.

The vmax has 2 crankshafts. when reassembling you can time them normally line up dots 90 or place them so as to have 2 pistons at tdc at the same time 180 which requires different ignition. this was done in the past to attempt to increase torque. pulls over a lot harder with 180 firing:)

What would be the best set up for 300 ft drag on this motor. And how can I advance timing it doesn't have a plate or anything. Do I have to buy a aftermarket cdi? I always went between 7 and 10 on my twin engine and made the best power.

Around 200 im not trying to brake any records or anything, just fast and consistent. I Am going to find a set of aean quads, deck the heads and run alky. Is all I'm going to do this year unless I purchase someone's big bore that's already ported. I have seen some good deals on parts but can't get anyone to message me back on them.

Back