Vmax 800 Gas Tank

yamiman

Hi was doing some summer maintenance on the 96' vmax 800 and noticed the molded plastic on the gas tank had let go at the gas cap latch (it is spring loaded) and I cannot latch the gas cap now. Has anyone run into this and found a repair for the latch/tank or do you have to find a whole replacement tank? Thanks.

it breaks where the pin goes threw. drill the loose pieces on each side of the pin slot then run small screw threw loose piece and into tank. have fixed a number of tanks this way..

Yes you are correct. I will try the 'fix' for it but don't know if I would trust it for the longterm...

I made some aluminum brackets. Then I shaved both plastic brackets that hold the pins and drilled and tapped the tank and bolted the new aluminum one on. You would know the difference if I didn't point it out. It's held for 3 years now. I was going to put washers and nuts in the inside of the tank if I needed but haven't had too yet.

All 500-600-750 and 800 tanks from 94-97 were the same. 92-93 Vmax-4 tanks won't work on 94 and up but 94 and up tanks will work on all including 92-93 750.

Just find another one they are plentiful.

opsled

I have 2 tanks from 96 Vmax4's available if anyone needs one. Good condition, with caps. Shipping may be costly though.

I have a tank in Sudbury ont.
Have friends in Stoney Creek that either we visit or they come over a few times a year.
Would take $50 for tank and get it to you for free if not in a hurry!

Back